Flights to Cuba from the US

Oct 11, 2010
Nothing's Changed

This is just adding another airport in Florida to allow charter flights for qualifying individuals. All travel restrictions remain the same.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
US Citizens Please Note

The approval of the new flights does not change existing restrictions which prohibit U.S. tourists travel to Cuba.

For now, the U.S. government only allows Cuban exiles with relatives on the island and some American under special categories.

Read more: Flights to Cuba from Fort Lauderdale approved by U.S. - Cuba - MiamiHerald.com

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There have been flights from Miami to Cuba for years, with the same travel restrictions. Now they will allow them from Fort Lauderdale. Nothing has changed, except the airport options.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Note that early Cuban refugees have moved to Broward County.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
This week, the government approved flights to Cuba from eight other U.S. airport, including Tampa, Chicago O'Hare, Baltimore, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Luis Mu?oz Mar?n in San Juan, Puerto Rico

it's a small leak in the dike but be optimistic....

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There have been flights from Miami to Cuba for years, with the same travel restrictions. Now they will allow them from Fort Lauderdale. Nothing has changed, except the airport options.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These flights are so expensive sometimes that Cuban nationals find it cheaper to go through a third country nonetheless.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What is the big deal? If you want to travel to Cuba from Miami just go to Nassau and buy a rt ticket from there and go.

When a "free country" tells you where you can go and not go it is not very free anymore. Screw them.

Reactions: cobraboy

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
The US checks flights from some countries to learn if US citizens travelled to Cuba, at least under former President Bush's adminstration. They also observe people leaving flights from Cuba to see if they then are catching flights to the US. Under the Bush adminstration, first time offenders were fined about US$7000. I hope President Obama's adminstration is not taking such extreme actions.

Last edited:

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
The US checks flights from some countries to learn if US citizens travelled to Cuba, at least under former President Bush's adminstration. They also observe people leaving flights from Cuba to see if they then are catching flights to the US. Under the Bush adminstration, first time offenders were fined about US$7000. I hope President Obama's adminstration is not taking such extreme actions. However, the travel restrictions will fall soon, especailly with the rise of diversity in the US population.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The US checks flights from some countries to learn if US citizens travelled to Cuba, at least under former President Bush's adminstration. They also observe people leaving flights from Cuba to see if they then are catching flights to the US.
Who are they ? How is it possible ?

Under the Bush adminstration, first time offenders were fined about US$7000. I hope President Obama's adminstration is not taking such extreme actions.
Have you read or heard of anyone who was actually fined ??
I know a couple of US citizens who travel to Cuba on a regular basis, from what they told me, no one was ever prosecuted yet.

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
I know plenty of US citizens who travel and a regular basis from what they told me, no one was ever prosecuted yet.

Yes, I know people who were fined under the Bush's adminstration, but not under the Obama's adminstration. I also know people who received letters from the US government regarding their trips to Cuba during the Bush's adminstration. Some of those people travelled with me as part of a group from the Washington DC area, but most of us had permits from the Center for Cuba studies in NY. Some did not pay the fee for legal permits and were caught and fined.

I have not heard of anyone being fined under the Obama admistration. But if ICE learn that a US citizen went to Cuba when they come though Customs and Immigration, that person is going to have a problem. This also apply to anyone carrying US residential papers. I also heard of plently of US citizens that travelled to Cuba with permits and were not caught. It a personal decision, but it is illegal under US law.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Who are they ? How is it possible ?

I know a couple of US citizens who travel to Cuba on a regular basis, from what they told me, no one was ever prosecuted yet.

Americans in Cuba - Wikitravel

I have heard of a couple of cases which were prosecuted.. do not have the time to search.. but as I remember these were probably folks who brought it to the attention of the US authorities on purpose in order to challenge the law (my kind of folks!)