Help with Purchasing a Wheelchair, then Donate it.

theskis1

May 15, 2005
Looking to buy a wheelchair and then donate it so someone in need a week later. I'll be staying at a resort in La Romana for a week and a family member will need to use a wheelchair for 1 week. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can begin making arrangements? Will be arriving April 7th.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I assume you know that you can bring the wheelchair on the plane at no charge, in addition to your luggage.

Are you asking where in La Romana you can donate the wheelchair??

AE

theskis1

May 15, 2005
My relative does not own a wheelchair, but will need one to get around the resort I am asking where I can get a wheelchair, and also asking if anyone knows of a charity that distributes wheelchairs to people in need. LLL

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you want to buy it in DR? Or buy it before you fly? Where do you live? If in or near NJ, send me a PM.

If you want to buy beforehand, try Craigslist, even EBay, to see if someone near you is selling one. You'd pay a fortune in DR, if you could even find one.....

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Although there's nothing funny about someone needing a wheelchair, this reminds me of the old Seinfeld show with the donated used wheelchair. lol.

I'm wondering if the resort might have some on hand for folks who need them. It's a long shot, but you never know. Check it out.