Making Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2008
I have an abundance of fruit and want to make jam...mango and/or papaya. I need to find Certo (helps set the jam). Has anyone seen it in any grocery store in Sosua/Cabarete. Or better yet, does anyone know of an alternative I can use?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Suggest you pm Grandma Jen. She is the jam making expert of the north coast!! Famous for her jams and chutneys and chilli dipping sauce.

Matilda

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Pectin

Well I have never found certo or other similar product here.

I do have several boxes brought back on treips back to the states,,,,but even though I will not offer you mine, You can very well extract the pectin/pectin like substance from Passion fruit.

I have done it making passion fruit jelly and later experimenting for mango jam as well.

g'luck

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You can use modified clear corn starch from Amazon etc. I have used this for freezer jam. The idea here is that you freeze portions but you don't have to have sterile jars etc. and you can change the sweetness. Its used commercially for low sugar jam I believe.
Amazon will ship various grocery products: I get my favorite curry powder this way.
Apples have high pectin content but unripe is better and may be difficult t get here.
Yanandu

Dec 21, 2008
I have made mango jam and it did set quite well...I only used a small amount of sugar and boiled it slowly for about 5 minutes. I have an abundance of papaya right now and hoped for Certo to set it.

I haven't tried passion fruit jelly yet but would like to. Mr Silver Fox is diabetic so I don't like to use too much sugar and the store bought jams are mostly sugar.

How do you extract pectin?

Dec 21, 2008
Found liquid Certo in the Playero today...it's located with the jello where the baking stuff is. It is a little pricy but they do stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.