Visitor visa for mother-in-law?

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Greetings Visa Forum,

My wife is expecting and she would like her mother to be here(Canada)for the birth. My mother-in-law does not have great credentials as far as "ties" to the DR, but she does have some property and a job and significant family ties.
I realize temporary resident visas are very difficult to get for the vast majority of Dominicans but I was just wondering if anyone has tried this recently and if anyone has ever had success with this, that is to say for the specific purpose of attending the birth.

Its good to revisit this forum. I was a daily observer while my wife and I were going through the process. I wish all of you good luck while you are in process.

Thanks

CW

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Greetings Visa Forum,

My wife is expecting and she would like her mother to be here(Canada)for the birth. My mother-in-law does not have great credentials as far as "ties" to the DR, but she does have some property and a job and significant family ties.
I realize temporary resident visas are very difficult to get for the vast majority of Dominicans but I was just wondering if anyone has tried this recently and if anyone has ever had success with this, that is to say for the specific purpose of attending the birth.

Its good to revisit this forum. I was a daily observer while my wife and I were going through the process. I wish all of you good luck while you are in process.

Thanks

CW

My brothers wife's mother came from Cuba on a Visitor's Visa for the birth of both his children. Try -What have you got to lose. Perhaps you can get a doctor's letter.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Congratulations!

Now is the time to try if there ever was one.
Although still difficult, visitor visas are being issued for legitimate reasons these days. Who knows how long it will last but in the last couple of weeks a couple in process waiting for PR were granted a visitor visa. Something else we all thought was nearly impossible!

Make sure you have documented all expenses covered, insurance, ticket etc. to cover her bases.

Good luck & let us know whether or not you were successful!
Sangria

Johana

May 24, 2006
CanWest,
we applied for a mulitple entry TRV for my mother-in-law last month. We are expecting baby #2 next month and said it would be great for her to come and help out. She was approved for a 1 year multiple entry TRV. So go ahead and try!!!!! As Sangria mentioned Santo Domingo is actually approving visitor visas.

We thought we would have a better chance if it was just my mother-in-law. Both my in-laws applied in 2009 (processing in Haiti) and were denied. As she is afraid to fly and my husband would probably have to go get her - my father-in-law is going to apply this week - we figured now that there is a real chance of success that it was worth the cost and trip to Santo Domingo.

I'm not sure if any of the info we sent helped out - or just that SD is more generous but we sent:
my husband's birth certificate with translation (proving relationship)
our wedding cert with translation
my daughter's bc
copies of ultrasound pics (I didn't bother paying for a letter from my ob stating due date)
letter from my husband's employer stating salary
copy of my EI application for maternity benefits (I am currently unemployed)
copies of our bank accounts
copies of our condo and vehicle documents - we stated that we would be willing to use these as collateral to ensure they leave (even though I know we can't do that).
My husband sent a "standard" invitation letter - inviting her to come for xx weeks and that we would pay for flight and all expenses here.
I sent another invitation letter that was more personal - explaining how I will need help with 2 under 2 lol.

We also know a friend who's mother received a 7 month single entry TRV. She does not work in DR, they do not have a lot of money, live in the campo etc. So once again now does seem the time to apply with the most hope!!!!

Good luck!!!

Reactions: AnnaC

Johana

May 24, 2006
My father-in-law applied today and received a 2 year TRV. We sent the same information with slightly different invitation letters.

Candy Girl

Apr 21, 2008
You found out the same day as to whether or not you got denied for the visitors visa? Thats great. Seems like this is the time to apply if ever for my godson and his mother to try and come for a visit.
Great news for your family :)

Johana

May 24, 2006
Candy Girl,
yes you drop of the paperwork in the morning and they ask you to return in the afternoon and you have the decision - and if approved the visa is in your passport.

Just an FYI I have heard a couple of times now of people hanging around outside the embassy saying that they can help get the visa or that there is an additional form to fill out for a fee. All necessary forms are found on CIC website and the embassy cannot take any cash payments - so this is just a scam.

A friend's mom with no job and little money was approved for a 7 month single entry TRV - so I would say yes this is def the time to apply!!! Good luck :)

Candy Girl

Apr 21, 2008
Even if they only intend on staying for 2 or 3 weeks is it possible to apply for longer, or perhaps a multi-entry visa? I dont want to get my hopes up too much but I am feeling a little bit more confident based on the number of people being approved lately. :)

Johana

May 24, 2006
In our invitation letter and on the application we put a visit of three weeks. We did not mention anything about timing or duration of any subsequent trips. On the application we checked the box for multiple entry and that was it.

Candy Girl

Apr 21, 2008
We want my godson and my comadre to come here for the last two weeks in August and then we would all go back together the first or 2nd of September. Alex's birthday is the 29th and mine is the 7th so we'd like to have a joint birthday party over there. Do you think that would help prove their intentions on going back as well?

Candy Girl

Apr 21, 2008
Will they talk to Raysa (my godsons mother) or will they just look at the application and our supporting documents and decide just based on that?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
They will likely just take the documents but she should be prepared to answer questions just in case.