Anyone feel the Quake?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not mean to sound harsh but now everyone gets their knickers in the twist over quakes as if itthey were a big thing. in DR we have daily shakes and it is not even noticable. but have any major catastrophe like in japan and all of a sudden newspapers report even the smallest earth farts.

Reactions: Celt202

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I didn't feel it, but there are rumours going around on social pages like facebook and BB chats that it was 6.7 and that Punta Cana has been evacuated due to tsunami warnings, people think this is funny putting those rumours to roll, but it is really dangerous. The quake was 3.6, nothing compared with Japan which had dozens of replicas over 5.0, one was even 6.0

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
2 hours ago 3.6 Dominican Republic region

12 hours ago 5.4 Dominican Republic region

earthquake.usgs.gov

?If I had had to make a bet, I would have bet that the first earthquake would have taken place in the northern Dominican Republic, not Haiti,? a geophysicist at Purdue University told the New York Times last Tuesday.

The article was entitled, ?A Deadly Quake in a Seismic Hot Zone.?

The fault that ruptured violently on Jan. 12 had been building up strain since the last major earthquake in Port-au-Prince, 240 years ago. . . But about 100 miles to the north is a similar fault, the Septentrional, that has not had a quake in 800 years. Researchers have estimated that a rupture along that fault . . . could result in a magnitude 7.5 quake that could cause severe damage in the Dominican Republic?s second largest city, Santiago, and the surrounding Cibao Valley .

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Prentice had been to the island of Hispaniola and had studied a different, roughly parallel fault called the Septentrional, which runs along the island's northern edge. It had been difficult getting into Haiti, she said, so she and her fellow scientists focused their work on the Dominican Republic. That fault is another time bomb, threatening the Dominican city of Santiago, with a population of more than 1 million, Prentice said.