First time in DR (San Juan de la Maguana )

Maestro777

Mar 17, 2011
Man what am I gettting myself into??
I have been reading all the posts on Sankiies and culture and gringos ....
Its alot to take in but I am planning my first ever trip to DR.
Actually have been talking to a couple of Dominicanas in diiferent chat rooms and want to find out first hand if theres a possibility of establishing a relationship.
Glad to see some of the pitfalls posted here so I can recognize my mistakes as I am blissfully making them aagghhh.
I read areally good post that said to dine at a local place near banks offices and other downtown businesses to meet a woman with a job and establish a friendship first.
Staying away from the resort towns and sex tour hangouts don't need that kind of misery in my life..
Trying to increase my spanish past my kindergarten level too.
I am a teacher here in Georgia and am tired of the racism I face as a white guy who dates black girls.
I will go where my heart leads and we'll see if it comes out still beating...
Oh yeah duh!! Any recomendationson where to go I have been talking to some ladies in San Juan de la Maguana .Is this a respectable area or a den of iniquity waiting to get me in its clutches..The beach towns all seem to be best left alone for a gringo looking for a legitimate relationship!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
San Juan de la Maguana is a large town away from the tourist area. The girls there are poor, but not like the hustler's you would meet in a tourist area

I had a girlfriend from there some years ago. She was poor, but had good morals. You might find a good one there.

There is a nice hotel just past the Police station on your right. The price is right, AC, nice large clean rooms. Don't remember the name though.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Always liked San Juan de la Maguana, if you want to get away from it all, Not a bad place to do it....

Hotel Maguana (Calle Independencia 72, tel. 809/557-2244....never had a problem staying here....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You would be MUCH better off in the Cibao...Moca, La Vega, Santiago, Mao!!

In any of these towns you would meet knock your socks off beautiful young women...

I know San Juan de la Maguana....nice enough, but really the sticks...

HB

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Just be very careful use extreme caution regardless of what you tell the majority of women in the DR that you are not rich nor affluent they still think the opposite. In an educated and civilized way I have tried explaining to Dominicans back a few years ago that just because I come to the DR doesn't mean I have money or I'm some rich guy I'm just another economically middle class person unfortunately it never seems to be convincing!!! Don't wear jewelry nor expensive clother nor expensive shoes still they think the contrary!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
YEA, San Juan is the backwoods man. There may be wholesome women there but how long before you are bored? 24 hours in a small town with nothing to do and no friends and limited language skills is not how you do it. What if you dont like the hotel? What about the food? If you dont like it what will you eat? And what if you like me, think that the women in that town were more dense than need be in the 21st Century.

Heres what you do. Come to Santiago. Go to church with Chip and you can meet wholesome and quite possibly educated AND employed women. And then from there you can decide what to do.

I Love Cibao most of the time but I do have a soft spot for Sanjuan De Maguana, Nice town few good bars. Hotel Maguana is nice as you enter town but they are not really guest friendly. The hotel Sky was refering to is Hotel D'Angel 809-557-3484, 4653, 9263 C/19 de marzo #3 esq ave independencia. Like 3 blocks past police station on main road. Many beutiful women in San juan but you will need to speak better spanish to pick up a real Girl not just looking to get some of your cash.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
San Juan de la Maguana

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/33MEjnXsGGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<b>Can someone translate the language at the end?</b>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dUXRaeV57a4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lktE83Q5iw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maestro777

Mar 17, 2011
I'm so confused

Thanks for all the info but now with all the advice I dont know what to do ...I thought I did but maybe I should go to a tourist area where the girls are around english speaking tourists and comfortable with them...I mean this is my first trip and I don't want to be sitting around town like a spy looking at everyones coming and going Maybe it would be best to just see what the beach areas have to offer..
Mom always says don't look for love it will find you.But I think it has misplaced my address from looking at the last year or so....

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Mom always says don't look for love it will find you.But I think it has misplaced my address from looking at the last year or so....

Maybe you should try looking in your hometown and leave the DR for pure excitement and adventures!!!

I mean just saying.:glasses:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Thanks for all the info but now with all the advice I dont know what to do ...I thought I did but maybe I should go to a tourist area where the girls are around english speaking tourists and comfortable with them...I mean this is my first trip and I don't want to be sitting around town like a spy looking at everyones coming and going Maybe it would be best to just see what the beach areas have to offer..
That is a good idea but just be careful because most of those girls that speak english around resorts area are gonna be Sankettes that learn english for the purpose of finding men to scam unless you find a true Alina Vargas. <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xet_lAGovtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> I can safely tell you that one poor girl from any remote towns would most likely have more principals and make a better wife than one from around a resort. If I were you, at least I would go meet this girl even if it means for just a day, see if there is a click and if there is and you think it worth you learning spanish or her english in order to comunicate give it a try. In less than 6 months you would be speaking some spanish and she some english, if there is a real interest. Because how would you know that you didn't already found the love of your life in this girl if you don't meet her? Isn't love the best language translator when it is true?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell you what I can do: I have a couple of friends in San Juan, people that are "real" and can probably help you meet other "real" people.

If you send me a PM I will give you the indications and you can do what you want when you get there.

One thing,if you are not a nice person: These are the main Judo teachers in town and San Juan is famous for its Judo Team!! Okay?

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

1. Dont be a sad sack. That is the wrong way to start your adventure.

2. You dont have to stay in the tourist town. Just to get your bearings and become acclimated with the language.

3. I dont know your mom, but bro, What is the rush? If you want to come to this country and meet a really nice woman, why rush it? If you pick the wrong one through haste you will be kicking yourself. Man, it will take a while for a dude from the outside to know what your womans intentions are. Trust me, you will be going along cool for a while and then you get ultimatums and surprises. So why rush?

4. Patience man, is a virtue, you know? You DONT want to be the dumbass on the airplane talking about how you married some loser babe with 4 kids and has never had a job in her life, who you cant talk to because of language differences and who you have no ability to have a conversation with because you live in 2 different universes.

Maestro777

Mar 17, 2011
REALITY CHECK#########
Thanks needed that sometimes the little head takes over thinkin' for the big head and thats when it gets all screwed up...Short term problems are worsened by longterm mistakes...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Forget about all that internet love crap. Don't talk to any Dominican woman on the internet with the intention of meeting them. That is a set-up and a con game if there ever was one.

If I need to explain it further don't bother reading the rest of this post.

Here are some suggestions-

1) Get your Spanish skills to a basic level before landing.

2) You should go about meeting people first and establishing relationships with a couple of expats who post here on this site. The introductions into Dominican society will flow from there, slowly but surely.

3) After a couple of trips doing this, if you are a decent enough chap you will meet some high quality Dominican women no doubt.

The other thing is this-no one knows you in the DR. No one knows what you look like or how you carry yourself. Don't think people are just going to roll out the red carpet for you without knowing what they are getting into. If you think the Sid Vicious look will impress, guess again.

I ran into a couple of guys in the Cibao who were there meeting up with their Dominican internet love interests, guys whose shortcomings were painfully obvious. Their manner of dress, their grooming, and their choice of female companionship all spoke to a certain level of class that would not get them through anyone's front door who doesn't live in a shack.

This is not a judgment, merely an observation. If you are looking for a free-for-all, anything goes type of atmosphere where in three days you are proposing to the first woman you see, there are places for that.

But what you are asking for is different, which is why I'm telling you that you need to reconsider your approach.

A piece of coal turns into a diamond from a combination of pressure and time. If you have the time and are willing to apply yourself, you'll do fine.

Reactions: rice&beans

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Here are some suggestions-

1) Get your Spanish skills to a basic level before landing.

2) You should go about meeting people first and establishing relationships with a couple of expats who post here on this site. The introductions into Dominican society will flow from there, slowly but surely.

3) After a couple of trips doing this, if you are a decent enough chap you will meet some high quality Dominican women no doubt.

The other thing is this-no one knows you in the DR. No one knows what you look like or how you carry yourself. Don't think people are just going to roll out the red carpet for you without knowing what they are getting into. If you think the Sid Vicious look will impress, guess again.

I ran into a couple of guys in the Cibao who were there meeting up with their Dominican internet love interests, guys whose shortcomings were painfully obvious. Their manner of dress, their grooming, and their choice of female companionship all spoke to a certain level of class that would not get them through anyone's front door who doesn't live in a shack.

Don't waste your fingertips Berzin, it is almost clear that this guy is just looking for a grillo to fall in love with. I am very sure that if he wasn't he would've contacted some of these guys already. If he goes to try finding a grillo at a resort he will be just meat for the market. I don't know what these grillos do to make these men go crazy.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I don't know what these grillos do to make these men go crazy.

Simple-they pay attention to them, and tell these guys everything the want to hear. After the spiel, the guy takes it upon himself to save the chica out of pity. Once a guy puts his own emotional well-being on the back burner, it's easy to see how they willingly set themselves on fire for the wrong woman.

A scenario-I "had" a friend, a young lady I've known for many years with a supposedly sick child. The same story over and over again-the father of the child ran off and is allegedly in Europe and sends her no money for child support.

She was a nice enough person, but every once in a while she would make vague, veiled references to "needing something" which I would ignore.

Having made plans to go to the DR, I tried to contact her. She disappeared. The kicker was her own sister, who lives in Santo Domingo, didn't know how to get in touch with her, or so she said. A message that I was going to be in the country would have been the easiest thing in the world to pass along, but it wasn't.

This so-called "friend" pulled the same stunt on two different occasions. My question is, why waste time with all these lies if there is no attempt to even see me when the time approached?

Like I said, this person was merely a friend, nothing else. Imagine if there was something actually going on. I guess the difference is I know that there are better people to spend my time with who aren't going to give me this runaround.

I didn't skip a beat and enjoyed a wonderful trip, and as I predicted she contacted me right after I got home with this message-

"hola
mi vida perdon
se k estas muy enojado com migo , esk se me da?o la computadora y mi bb se me que mo la espalda con un cafe. e pasado por un momento muy dificil
y mi telefono ase mucho k se me da?o tanbien."

Translation-"Hello
Mi vida (a term of endearment with no direct translation, literally means "my life") perdon (sorry)
I know you are very upset with me, it's that my computer is damaged and my baby suffered a burn on her back from some coffee. I've had a difficult time and it's been a while since my phone has not worked as well".

The moral of the story is, you don't have to be involved in a physical relationship to get the same treatment. Good thing I let time pass to see her true colors.

And if we were to have seen each other, the same MO that many fall into would have occurred-an offer of mind-blowing sex (for two or three days if you're lucky) followed by endless tales of need and desperation.

If you stand back far enough like I did to let the implosion transpire on its' own, you'll see how many of these chicas just aren't worth the trouble. Even as friends they fall short.

I hope you're reading this, Maestro777.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Also, you try to set up a trip but she does not agree with the date. After all, you are not trying to catch her by surprise but I guess she is "booked" for the week you were planning to go. hahahahahahah:cheeky::cheeky:

Last edited:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Simple-they pay attention to them, and tell these guys everything the want to hear. After the spiel, the guy takes it upon himself to save the chica out of pity. Once a guy puts his own emotional well-being on the back burner, it's easy to see how they willingly set themselves on fire for the wrong woman.

A scenario-I "had" a friend, a young lady I've known for many years with a supposedly sick child. The same story over and over again-the father of the child ran off and is allegedly in Europe and sends her no money for child support.

She was a nice enough person, but every once in a while she would make vague, veiled references to "needing something" which I would ignore.

Having made plans to go to the DR, I tried to contact her. She disappeared. The kicker was her own sister, who lives in Santo Domingo, didn't know how to get in touch with her, or so she said. A message that I was going to be in the country would have been the easiest thing in the world to pass along, but it wasn't.

This so-called "friend" pulled the same stunt on two different occasions. My question is, why waste time with all these lies if there is no attempt to even see me when the time approached?

Like I said, this person was merely a friend, nothing else. Imagine if there was something actually going on. I guess the difference is I know that there are better people to spend my time with who aren't going to give me this runaround.

I didn't skip a beat and enjoyed a wonderful trip, and as I predicted she contacted me right after I got home with this message-

"hola
mi vida perdon
se k estas muy enojado com migo , esk se me da?o la computadora y mi bb se me que mo la espalda con un cafe. e pasado por un momento muy dificil
y mi telefono ase mucho k se me da?o tanbien."

Translation-"Hello
Mi vida (a term of endearment with no direct translation, literally means "my life") perdon (sorry)
I know you are very upset with me, it's that my computer is damaged and my baby suffered a burn on her back from some coffee. I've had a difficult time and it's been a while since my phone has not worked as well".

The moral of the story is, you don't have to be involved in a physical relationship to get the same treatment. Good thing I let time pass to see her true colors.

And if we were to have seen each other, the same MO that many fall into would have occurred-an offer of mind-blowing sex (for two or three days if you're lucky) followed by endless tales of need and desperation.

If you stand back far enough like I did to let the implosion transpire on its' own, you'll see how many of these chicas just aren't worth the trouble. Even as friends they fall short.

I hope you're reading this, Maestro777.

Aw man, if we are going to tell tales, I think I gotta good one. One babe, similar to yours, told me her ex doesnt give her enough for child support. She gets 1500pesos every 2 weeks. I said "That is better than nothing." She said comically(to me) "Thanks for your support." Haha! And every time I wanted to hang out, I d set the clock at 7pm. And every time at 7p there would be some reason she couldnt hang out. There was always some emergency, some threat to disconnect her lights or whatever. So she didnt show up. And you know, you set the trap by claiming disaster then I poke my nose into it and SNAP! I m caught. And I was rolling with laughter because she tells me all the things she would like to do and I was amenable to it, but you had to do it my way. You want to go to Puerto Plata and go to a resort, fine. But why does your brother have to drive us? They got buses that leave every hour. I told her to show up at the bus depot at 9a if she wanted to go. Guess what? She didnt show up. This is a person who thinks that McDonalds is premium gourmet(which I loved because that is a cheap date for sure). So imagine the delight if she had ever gone to TGIFridays? But she didnt show up.

But I hear you bro, when you call the person and try to set up some hang time, they cant be found. Like you come to the country willy-nilly at the drop of a hat. Yet when you arent here they can find you and load you up with something that is supposed to end in a Western Union remittance.

Another rebuttal for you, if you have a deranged sense of humor like I do is brush off any of that Western Union("Weter Yunio") jazz with some elaboration on your own. "Oh no I dont use Western Union, I only send money with Fernandez Express. And he cant come today because his best mule is in a kickball tournament" or "Oh no, I m going to be in church all day. I have so diabolical and I dont have time to do that. I need a whole heap of sanctifying! Do you have any deception in you?" Something along those lines, but that is only if you are bored and want to test your imagination.

Moral: Shut them down as soon as possible. Plus, tell them the truth. Who cares how it sounds. It is liberating. I told one woman "I like you...but I hate your sisters, all of them. And I dont even know why you dont all look alike. Clearly your father is Chinese. And you look Chinese. But why dont your sisters? What's up with that?"

This is why as much as the OP wants to find one endearing Dominican woman he can make his wife. I have determined in most instances it isnt worth the frustration for just one. It like a stove where you always need a back-up or reserve burner to feed yourself.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
RacerX-the main reason I wanted to meet up with her was I wanted to see her child so I could help in whatever way I can.

Supposedly the little girl is autistic and has other issues, and autism is something I could have helped her daughter with.

The lovey dovey crap her mom was spewing last couple of times we talked didn't interest me at all and she knows it.