Why don't we see candelabras in the DR?

Jan 3, 2003
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aYLFAp9TG9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you can tell from this video, candelabras are used to hold candles. I, for one, have not seen many in the DR. It is an excellent way to hold candles and it is much more cost efficient to purchase than to install an inverter-battery-generator system. That gadgetry is much more expensive. It is toxic to the health no matter how you set it up and it is a potential fire hazard.

Candelabras come in that setup seen in my video. There are also the hanging ones which adorned the National Theater in Vienna in the 18th century which Emperor Joseph II attended. Hey, if it's good enough for an Emperor, it's got to be good enough for Dominicans.

So, it begs the question:Why don't we see more candelabras in the DR? Those owning them can push it off as a fashion statement plus save alot of money on expensive electrical setups which are toxic to your health.

Who has candelabras in the DR?

Thanks-

Reactions: SantiagoDR

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Because the poor don't want to waste the money to buy them and the rich people want power, not candles

As for not as toxic do you think the people here care about that with all the pollution from everywhere else ( I.e cars, motos, Burning sugercane, burning garbage etc. )

This ain't England

O.S.

Reactions: Onions/Carrots
Jan 3, 2003
OK, another question, how long does a standard DR candle last? I mean the standard one bought at the colmado.

How many hours of lighting do you get from one?

What is the current price of a candle in the DR?

Now that I ask this I wonder who are the major candle manufacturers in the DR?

I wonder how is business doing for them. Is business booming or declining?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
People who cannot afford an inverter use candles, but not a candelabra. One, maybe two candles is all they can afford to burn, and for some, even that is extravagant.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a fully solar equipped casa.... total..... no public power.

The cost of that - coupled my innate frugality - has reduced me to candles:tired:

Hurricane lamps , we use.... candles from IKEA

Just like standard lighting, I snuff them as soon as mi esposa turns her back...so my candles last years.
I will be interested in others' experiences....

WW
aka Frugal Freddie

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
we don't have an invertor, but our light almost never goes out (it did go out for 5 hours this morning, though). we use candles - the cheapy church candles from the colmado and they last long enough to get through the black out. maybe an hour or two. we have some candle holders on the walls, and some votive lights. i think it's relaxing. and battery acid scares me (why we don't have invertor)

Reactions: Onions/Carrots

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Two answers to your question. Part A this is the Dominican Republic not some European country, U.S.A., or Canada its not common amongst the culture. Part B we live in the year 2011 not in the middle ages. People in the DR have trouble making ends meet to get food and drink spending their money on candles is one of the last perogatives in their minds.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
OK, another question, how long does a standard DR candle last? I mean the standard one bought at the colmado.

How many hours of lighting do you get from one?

What is the current price of a candle in the DR?

Now that I ask this I wonder who are the major candle manufacturers in the DR?

I wonder how is business doing for them. Is business booming or declining?

Talking candles for light source.

Ok, I actually know a little something about this:

A 3 peso candle will get you roughly 3+hours of light, depending on the breeze.

Up until 2 years ago there were 3 standard candles for light. The 2 peso, 3 peso and 5 peso. As you can imagine the returns were greater for the bigger investment. A 5 peso candle could give you up to 7 hours whereas a 2 peso is going to give you less than 2 hours.

The 2 peso candle is dead, the other candles are being made smaller and the industry is in the pits. A candle factory that has direct sales may earn 15%, but with major payment upfront for the prime material.

The majority of candles are made from paraffin a petroleum derivative, need I say more.

The advent of bootleg invertors for light has progressed and the cost of producing the candles, buying the wax upfront and collecting the payments through colmados and distributors, ouch!

5 years ago, with 3 employees I made a decent wage through candles, no regrets:

Today: I am selling my machinery for 50% it's value.......and waiting.

From the horses mouth.

Jan 3, 2003
We live in the year 2011 not in the middle ages.

The DR is a medieval nation that through its arrogance wants to live in the modern era. Take for example the METRO. The DR barely can produce energy for its population. It owes the power generators hundreds of millions of dollars. Yet, through its arrogance it demanded to construct a modern train. The DR would have been better served with a 19th century steam engine locomotive like this one.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x8f9VFlNyDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's why I mention the use of candles. Conservation is key. If most Dominicans thought like La Teacher and William Webster, the DR would be a fully functional state and its priorities would be set straight. Instead, we have wastage of precious resources that once gone will never come back.

Where do people think electricity come from anyway? Rivers are becoming bone dry because what was once a freely flowing river useful for human use are being diverted for hydroelectric purposes. This will break the back of the DR. I commend La Teacher and Mr. Webster. We need people to behave like these two exemplary people. In the daytime use the sun and at night use candles. The DR is heading towards self immolation if it doesn't change its ways.

Conservation is key.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you RedScot for the information..... invaluable.

Onions/Carrots.... no accolades, please.... I was just following my nose, trying to make a smaller carbon footprint and get a more reliable power source.

In that regard, my friends watched w/ curiosity..... one of whom calculated that she was spending about $300/monthly for her pool pump, etc.
She switched to solar for a cost of $5000 and considers it well spent... from a cost perspective - saying nothing about her environmental impact.
Subsequently, her natural gas generator failed.... the city power was erratic... so she converted totally to solar.
She is very happy.

Once anyone has the infastructure, the addition of solar panels themselves is not too onerous. Their cost comes down almost every year, while the efficiency has been increasing.

Curious economics.

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A candelabra won't keep the fridge and 'puters running in a brownout...