Moving to the DR - what to bring?

fschloss

Mar 11, 2011
I have spent many hours reading the information posted on this website - it's truly a great source of information, especially for the newcomer!

But I still do have two questions which were not addressed anywhere. Background: I will retire by the end of April, fly to the DR and will decide after about a year, whether I want to move there for good. In the meantime, I will leave my household goods in storage with a moving company. I live in Germany, but have also lived in the US for 13 years, which is why the English language is (almost) no problem for me.

My questions: we have these big wardrobes in Europe to store our clothes in, mine is 10 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Do Dominican apartments and houses typically have US-style closets? In this case, there would not be any point in bringing this wardrobe. Second question: I have several oriental rugs, but wonder whether these would be practical to have in the hot and humid climate of the DR. Maybe they would get mouldy or be eaten up by insects, who knows... Can anyone offer advice on these two questions? Many thanks in advance!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Strange thread, rugs and wardrobes? Rugs need beaten daily and yes, many apartments have large built in wardrobes. If this is your main consideration you will bd just fine. Good luck.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
In many parts of the DR you are going to spend much time outdoors - round the pool - on the beach etc.
Much of your clothing is going to be lightweight tropical gear unless you are in business.
e.g. Ex-officio slacks and shorts.
It is best to vacuum pack suits suitable for back in Europe etc. or keep them in a room with good air conditioning.
Dry cleaning is possible - but not so common - water washed clothes are good.
I left my suits back in Europe because its unlikely I will need them here - only on visits to Europe. One lightweight linen suit is maybe enough.
So big wardrobes are not required.
Expensive rugs can be used as wall hangings enclosed in nitrogen filled glass sealed enclosures. Or inter house level plate glass enclosures : I have seen this. They need to be protected from sunlight! UV filtering films are available.

Yanandu

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'd leave your Oriental rugs home - ceramic tile floors are most common here - otherwise you're inviting unwanted critters living in your rugs!

Bring lots of summer clothes, flip flops, sandals, special foods you love that you may not find here (i.e., while there are limes plentiful, there are no lemons easily found), though many stores cater to expats.

I'd downsize as much as you can before coming - as you'll probably need to do so once here as well.

It's not so much the closet space to worry about, it's how to preserve what it is you are putting in those closets. This is a warm country with especially humid summers. Clothes can get musty, moldy, etc. even when in air conditioning.

And it's all worth it!!!!!!!!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm assuming they are nice, fairly expensive rugs. I'd recommend that you leave them at home in a good storage facility for the first year. After that, if you decide to live here permanently, you could choose one or two you think would be good for your living situation.

For your first year, don't bring too many clothes. Since I know I will be here for only five years, I put things in storage and gave away a lot of the clothes I never wore. My recommendation in that issue is that you make a careful inventory of what you put into storage. After being here a year, you can go back and quickly retrieve what you want to bring with you.

Other things that I have found useful:
travel surge protectors
rechargeable flashlights
spices for cooking (unless you only like oregano, cilantro, anis, and cinnamon)
EAR PLUGS (it's very loud outside tonight)
two really good bottles of wine for a special occasion or when you miss home
(unless you like Spanish or Chilean wine, because those are easily found here)
toothpaste (unless you like Colgate, because that is the only kind sold here)

And, as the other posters have stated:
money
patience
sense of humor
sense of adventure
And if you don't have patience or a sense of humor, then bring extra money to buy rum and xanax.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
My questions: we have these big wardrobes in Europe to store our clothes in, mine is 10 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Do Dominican apartments and houses typically have US-style closets? In this case, there would not be any point in bringing this wardrobe. Second question: I have several oriental rugs, but wonder whether these would be practical to have in the hot and humid climate of the DR. Maybe they would get mouldy or be eaten up by insects, who knows... Can anyone offer advice on these two questions? Many thanks in advance!

CLOSETS - yes most apartments and houses have large american style closets. I live in a 2 bedroom apt and each room has a 8ft long closet with additional storage above the closet.

RUGS - IF you are willing to take them outside into the sunshine on a regular basis to clean and air them out - bring one or two favorites. It is sometimes nice to have a rug on the floor, many people do have area rugs. BUT they do need to be cleaned.

Contrary to what you were told yes we do have dry cleaners as well.

It sounds like you have read a lot! Good for you. You are going to rent for a year before moving all your stuff over - smart! What area are you moving to?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Oh I would add:

Extension Cords
Electrical Tape
Tools
batteries/flashlights
Clothes with pockets so you don't have to carry purses, fanny packs, etc.
Backpack so you are hands free as you move about town

Leave your jewelry home as well as your rugs

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I would make that "rechargeable batteries" and charger!!! Drro is right batteries are expensive.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What to Bring

Hi:

My wife and I live in the DR for about half the year. When we downsized in the States we hired an auctioneer to sell off all of our large furniture and rugs, which are totally out of place in the DR. Do not ship furnishings here. It is expensive and most of the time your European furniture will be out of place here. You can buy furniture here at competitive prices. A lot will depend on where you are living and what type of housing that you have.

S

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Lots of cargo trousers/pants with numerous zippered pockets. This is a nation of pickpockets so make it harder for them. Hard to find cargo pants in the stores here and either expensive or poor quality if you do find them. Recommend you only bring clothes made of natural fibres (cotton/linen/silk) because often very humid here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Super Mercados National has Both....

...... lots of spices from all over the World,as well as Colgate,Crest,Close Up,Sensodyne,as well as other brands of toothpaste. I have about six "Oriental" rugs,they are in storage here,not due to "Bugs",or "Mold",but do to the fact that maids use bleach and other harsh cleaners to mop the floor every day.Bring some good "sneakers",available here,but expensive,and mostly "fake",if they are a good brand.
I say bring some "Summer" clothes,and lots of money to buy what you want/need here. Shipping and "bribes", to get your stuff through customs,will cost you more.Medications,both perscription and over-the-counter are expensive here,IF you can find what you need!
Good luck,and WELCOME!!
ris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have "discovered",hot,smoked Spanish Paprika.I gives food a HOT,smokey flavor that I REALLY love. Good on beans&rice!:classic:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
spanish paprika, I will look for that. I think the domestic hot sauce is pathetic.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be Sure To Get The "PICANTE"!

It looks the same as the "Dulce".
Supermercado National,and Pola/La Sirena have both.
Comes in a "Little Red Can".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Do not forget your wardrobe is very important R.D.
Everybody wears clothes for the morning, and turns in the afternoon, and changed for dinner, and changes to end the evening.
Yes, R.D. wardrobe is really essential.
And do not forget your money.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Ain't that the truth! I've never seen people change clothes so often......... no wonder they are hiring women to wash clothes all week and then iron them all.:cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can buy absolutely everything in DR but it will come at a price so bring MONEY!