first time in DR for 30th bday

Status
Not open for further replies.

abryan

Mar 21, 2011
I was looking for some information and saw this forum and decided to join. This will be my first trip to DR. I will be traveling solo. I'll be in Sosua for my 30th bday in July and I have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I'm staying at the Sosua Bay Club.

How is the nightlife and is it far from the area i'm staying in?
Is it better to take cash or use debit card/atm down there?
I'm interested in snorkeling, what areas are good for snorkeling? How do i get there?
How are the beaches?
What other activites or places to visit is a must?
Are there tours are offered?
Are the ladies friendly?

Hope I didn't ask too many questions.

Thanks

AB

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Are the ladies friendly?

Normally yes, but if you start hearing the word "malo" or "mafioso" you should make sure there are no cerveza bottles within her reach. And be ready to duck...:bunny:

Sosua is a small town, most everything is in walking distance. Couple places to get snorkeling tours. But if you got any spanish you can research the locations and just have a local to run you out in his motor boat.

I would bring some cash and use ATM also. Make sure your bank knows you will be using your cards out of country. They may shut them off if they think it got stolen. Try to use atms only during the day when the bank is open incase it sucks in your card. Research ATM scams.

May 29, 2006
Check the forum for tips on safe travel. Don't leave your common sense at Customs, and don't drink to excess, especially without a wingman. Those beers with a patina of ice on them can go down fast when you are not used to the heat. Do drink bottled water often. ATMs are abundant, but be sure they work and that you are not totally alone when using them at night.

Email a copy of your passport and bank card info to yourself as JPG files. Make sure you have contact info in case of a lost card. If you bring a laptop, bring a surge protector. Another item to bring is a disposable cell-phone. Fancy cell phones are a favorite of pickpockets and overnight "guests."

Finally, you may want to consider getting one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Lb8-1vjqL.jpg

They have a hard plastic liner-- having one with a half dozen beers and some ice makes the beach a lot more enjoyable(and cheaper). $15-$20 at Target or other similar stores and handy for bringing crushable items on carry-on.

abryan

Mar 21, 2011
Since i'm going to be traveling solo, I won't be doing too much drinking. I'm mostly going to be walking the beaches, swimming, taking pictures, seeing the sights, going out to the clubs, and trying to meet new people.

I'm just beginning to learn spanish. Hopefully i will be able to make some simple conversations when I get there in July.

just out of curiousity what's "malo" or "mafioso"?

May 29, 2006
The beach in Sosua has a couple hundred "casitas" which are shacks that are about half gift shops half bars with a couple dozen food stands here and there. They are usually about 15 ft wide and most sell the same crap. Cabarete is a much more open beach(and much bigger) but it doesn't have much local flavor. Cabarete is newer as a tourist area, a younger demographic and much fewer Dominicans on the beach. That's where you would go for kite boarding or wind-surfing. Playa Sosua has some shade which is nice on the hotter days. Playa Sosua is also sometimes VERY popular on Sundays and long weekends with Dominicans coming in by the bus load.

If you get the chance in Sosua, check around on the beach for people playing dominoes. It's a relaxing game and you don't have to speak Spanish to get the rules.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You say trying to meet new people. Just don't go and be overly friendly with the local boys, if you show a glimpse of interest in conversation you will be landed for the duration. It might sound nasty but I don't even acknowledge their existance, and find it the best way to keep my space my own without any unwanted clingons. If you want something then engage with whoever you need to.
30 and going to Sosua alone for your birthday? You didn't just happen to stumble across a deal in Sosua so you know why your going there, be careful with your cash and keep them awY from you personal accom.
If you make buddies make them foreign. My 2pence.

abryan

Mar 21, 2011
30 and going to Sosua alone for your birthday? You didn't just happen to stumble across a deal in Sosua so you know why your going there, be careful with your cash and keep them awY from you personal accom.
If you make buddies make them foreign. My 2pence.

I like to travel a lot and sometimes the places I choose are random. When I started looking for a place to stay for my bday I wanted it to be in an all inclusive resort. I was looking at other places, but they were really expensive. I had a friend who always go to DR tell me to check out DR and Sosua Bay Club. I read some info about Sosua and thought it would be a nice place to visit.

I'll stick with cash. Anymore advise for a first time traveler?

Thanks.

AB

Status
Not open for further replies.