Santiago in June

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
So according to feedback on this forum, Santiago is both hotter and cooler than Santo Domingo. ;)

The internet says it will be cooler. They list temps in the 80s with humidity.

Is it cooking in June? Are we talking Northern US style cooking (you go outside and say YUCK) or Southern (you go outside, immediately are covered in dripping sweat, 120 degree heat index not unheard of, no breeze. Ever.).

Do most middle to upper middle class homes in Santiago have AC?

Anyone ever see one of those mega centipedes there?

jabuti
la gringa con miles de preguntas :chinese:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
June in Santiago

HOT Y F__KING HOTTER. If you are not acclimated to the temperature you will drip like a cheap candle.

S

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've never stayed over night in antiago but have been there many times, and in houses without AC and didn't find it as humid as southern Ontario inn the summer. I find Samana hotter, Santo Domingo worse because of the air quality and more humidity. For some reason La Vega always seems hotter than Santiago. I find Santiago heat like Dallas only not as hot.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I grew up in Charleston SC without ac for many years. I have lived in Santiago now for 5 years and we don't have ac. I could never live anywhere in the Southern US without ac because of mostly the humidty(believe me I tried in NC, GA and FL). Santiago is cooler and less humid than the SE US.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is 100 miles north of Santo Domingo. It is in a valley that runs East-west...The breeze is alson East-West 90% of the time. When the breeze dies off, it is quite warm...thing 90! but the humidity is much less than Santo Domingo, Samana, LT, POP or any place near the beach.

That said, the nights are wonderful and allow for outdoor eating and walking.

Right now we are much cooler than normal==raining right thit instant=== Something really strange for Lent...usually we are hot with strog easterly breezes and winds.. It is the kite-flying season par execellance. But not thisyear..

HB

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Kudos to Chip, living in Charleston, SC with no AC. I probably had the most intense weather there a summer or two ago, sitting outside at one of those plantation tours. Heat index was 120 F, air stagnant, sweat dripping with no evaporation. Lawd hammercy!

As long as you get a break at night, its ok. I remember many an Atlanta night of 80+ degrees at bedtime, and 80+ degrees on the walk to work at 7am. You wonder if the earth ever cools. Then the SE USA "winter" comes around and you whine like a baby!

Thanks for being so helpful..

jabuti
whose dad just asked her "DR?? Umm. [concerned pause] Isn't that like....by...Haiti???"