Wine in Samana

claudiapol

Mar 23, 2011
My family and I are planning a visit to Samana in the next few months. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase good wine in the area? The same goes for safe, bottled water. THANK YOU

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I am not sure of the exact location in Samana. The main supermarket will carry a selection of imported wines. There is probably also a liquor store or two in town. You can by bottled water at any market. There is a large selection. Most people staying for a while buy the 5 gal jug, which costs around 50 pesos(about 1.25US) and a hand pump or you can buy liters or gallon bottles but they probably will cost as much. If you are coming to Las Terrenas, Supermarcado Lindo has a large selection of Italian, French, Spanish, Chilean and other choices of various quality wines. It is located on one of the main streets in town.

S

claudiapol

Mar 23, 2011
Thank you

Thank you for the info S.
I'll see if I can find Supermercado Lindo when we arrive. I also saw Omaha Gourmet market some where in between las Galeras and Las Terranas, we plan to investigate that one as well.
Is bottled water really safe? I heard that some companies are shady and bottle plain tap water, should I be worried or bring my own?
Thanks much! Claudia

Aug 19, 2004
Supermercado Lindo is the best - at the back of Plaza Rosado on the way into town. They have some excellent French wines but a good range of other products such as cold meats, pates etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Coming to Samana

Hi:

Ive' bought a 5 gallon jug of water every week for the last 6 months and never have had a problem. Obviously, this is not North America and nothing is guaranteed but if you are buying a sealed bottle in a store I would say it is probably from a reputable company. If you still feel unsure about the water drink rum or beer. The Omaha Store is also located in Las Terrenas in Plaza Coco y Mango which is up from the cemetary across the street from the beach. The cemetary is across from Paseo Shopping Plaza in the middle of the tourist area. The store has a nice selection of gourmet items but is on the expensive side.

S

claudiapol

Mar 23, 2011
the new Samana Highway

S.
Are you familiar with the new Samana highway? Is it safe all the way to Samana, or are there treacherous patches any where that I should be worried about?

itsallgoode9

Mar 25, 2011
Just an FYI about supermarcado lindo, it is closed from 1pm-3pm each day during the week. I am a first time visitor here and it took me a a couple tries to figure this out. Also, the entrance is in the very back of the plaza. It looks like possibly an apartment complex and the windows are tinted dark, so it's easily missed....at least for me it was.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Samana Highway

Hi:

The highway from SD north is very good. You can do 55-65mph on all but about 10KM which winds it's way thru part of Los Haities Nat.Park. There are 3 toll booths, two in the first 15KM after you get on it near SD and a third after you pass thru Los Haites. There is also a nice rest stop on the right just a very short way after you pay the third toll. You will need pesos for these. A total of about 350RD for the tolls. Follow this road as far as it goes, it will Tee into RT 5. You will make a right turn and stay on this road all the way into Samana. After about 3-5KM you will pass the entrance to the new airport at El Catey and then about another 8-10KM you will go thru Sanchez. There is a Texaco station on the left there if you need to fill up. You will need pesos for this also. I usually put in un mille, which 1000 pesos or about $28.00US. Gas is currently at $4.95US a gallon. From Sanchez to Samana will take you about 45 minutes. The total trip should take you about 2/12-3 hours. If you are picking up the car at the airport in SD there is also a Texaco station right after you exit the airport. You are best to fill up there. There are no gas stations until you get off the new higway. It is a little tricky getting to the new highway from Las Americas airport so if you need directions send me a private message. Good luck.

S

claudiapol

Mar 23, 2011
New Highway to Samana

Thank you Steve you are a wealth of information. I'm so glad you're hear to guide the rest of us : - ) I do need directions to the the highway from Santo Domingo Airport, so I will def. send you a priv. msg. THANKS A MILLION!

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Wine in Samana - Good selection at Mimasa Supermarket and at Opus Liquor Store

Wine in town of Samana

You will find a very good selection of WINE at Mimasa Supermarket.
Wines from Chili, Italia, Spain and California.

Also, there is a new Liquor Store that just opened in the town of Samana
this summer of 2011, its called OPUS and it is located next to Banco Popular
in front of the main dock at the Marina.

( i am a wine lover myself ! ;) )
Jon

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Best wines

Go to "La Cave" in El Paseo. Its in the center of the mall. Its a french wine cave with top wines.