is traveling in a rental car from bavaro to bayahide safe?

bweav

Feb 18, 2011
hello dr1,
this will be my third trip to bavaro with my girlfriend, we have always stayed on the resort. we are thinking of renting a car. can anyone tell me how save it is to travel from bavaro to bayahibe? or any tips on traveling? any reliable boat charters?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Driving in the DR is not recommended for the nervous driver. But if you are confident driving latin style then go for it. Best to keep your speed down and eyes open all around you at all times. Expect the unexpected. Road rules are generally ignored here. Driving is aggressive and fast. Little to no road signage.

Not recommended to drive after dark - too many unlit vehicles/obstacles in the road, plus you'll get blinded by oncoming vehicles laser like high beams. It gets dark around 7pm.

Car rental: go with a reputable company, make sure you have full insurance coverage and understand exactly what it covers (don't rely on your credit card insurance). Good idea to have the rental agent's out-of-hours phone number on you in case of emergency. The best prices are found by booking online.

Bavaro to Bayahibe takes about 90 minutes. You will pass through the busy town of Higuey. Here's a street map of Higuey to help you navigate through

For boat trips to Saona island: you can negotiate with one of the boat captains in the bay to the right where most of the lanchas/boats are moored. Going rate return trip in a small motor boat is around 4500 rd for 2 people.

Senor Reyes is a reliable fellow, he owns a couple of small boats, Tel: 809 269 2409 (Not sure if he speaks English) He's usually around the bay near Cafecitto Cubanas.

Bayahibe Fishing Center has a small boat with shade for rent (the Sara I) 175$US half day Bayahibe Fishing Center: Prices

Seavis and ProExcursions do good, quality Saona trips for smaller groups (transport from Bavaro included)
Seavis Excursions and tours in the Dominican Republic
Excursion de plong?e en mer des Cara?bes, de Bayahibe vers les ?les Saona, Catalina, Catalinita

Happy exploring!

Last edited by a moderator: