Shipping Seeds to DR

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
I would like to purchase seeds and have them shipped to the DR.

Is there any restrictions regarding vegetable seeds brought into DR?

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
very few and unless you are bringing in pounds of seeds rather than a few seed packerts, you should have now issues..
That said, you can buy pretty good quality seeds here and save a lot of headaches.
Also, you have to make sure the varieties you bring in are adapatable to the shorter days inthe tropics...for example while good hybred corn will grow here, it won't produce like in Iowa since the days are a good bit shorter...

But a few packets of seeds should be okay...

HB

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
What will grow well in the Dominican Republic? (seeds that are brought from Canada/Usa)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I brought in with me quite a lot of packets of seeds from the UK two years ago. Most of them did not adapt to the climate here, they were a waste of time and money. The seeds I have bought here, brand name Tropica have done well.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I would like to purchase seeds and have them shipped to the DR.

Is there any restrictions regarding vegetable seeds brought into DR?

Thanks

Oh i had some experience, 2 years ago..., what i can say i will never ever import any seeds, dried algae or something similar again! I do not remember which department objected and tried to force me to get the merchandise checked at some special laboratory.....only these costs would have been 6,000 pesos plus what ever imaginary fee. With luck i got out of that without further problems. Learned my lesson!

Here you can buy good seeds for a very fair price. If you live on the North Coast you may check out Ferreteria Atlantico. For many years i bought there seeds (salad, pepino, onion, aubergine, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Ajies Cubanela, )

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks. That sounds more like way it would work here.

I will just use other means.

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
Check with your shipper as most will have a list of restricted plants and seeds, well CPS said they do and to ring them with name and where they are coming from but most are not a problem.

Anyone have a list or names of places to buy seeds in SD or LR? I want neem seeds and other not so common seeds.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Where is Ferreteria Atlantico located? Also are there any other stores that are good for buying seeds?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Seeds through CPS

Some weeks ago I bought Stevia seeds in Colombia and received them via CPS.

donP

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
But where do I find the 'Tropica' brand. I've looked at several ferretarias and La Sirena but they don't have much of a selection of anything.