Proper Nutrition: A Photo Essay

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
While living in the Dominican Republic, it’s important to keep yourself in top attitude. And one of the best ways to keep that attitude in Top Shape is proper nutrition, so consuming daily portions of the 6 Attitude Food Groups is essential.

A point of edumacation: the Attitude Food Groups are beer, bacon, chocolate, chili, beef and chicken wings.

Today I will offer my suggestion for preparing one of the essential AFG’s, most excellent chicken wings. I owned a restaurant in Largo FL (some DR1ers have been there) and folks would come from miles for our wings.

First buy good wings. Most any carneceria or grocer will have them already prepared most likely frozen in packages of 10-12 with the tips attached. Buy enough for your nutritional requirement (6-10 per person works), take them home and defrost.

(Defrost hint: I like to “brine” my wings, so I kill two birds with one stone, and put the frozen wings in a bag of brine, water mixed with some salt, not too salty, but enough to clearly taste. In 24 hours the wings will be fully defrosted and very plump. Now you’re ready.)

I cut the tips off because I don’t have a deep fryer and the tips take up a lot of space. If I had a larger deep fryer I’d leave them attached:
CutWings.jpg

Next prepare the breading using:
Spices.jpg

Ingredients/portions:
  • ? cup of flour
  • ? tsp red pepper
  • ? tsp paprika
  • ? tsp salt
  • ? tsp garlic powder
Mix the above together.

I made 36 wings and used 2 ? cups of mix, so that gives you an idea of proportions you’ll need. Also, I like more robust wings so I use about 50% more spices and double the red pepper; adjust to your taste.

Hand drag and press the wings in the breading mixture and place them in a plate, or dish:
Breaded.jpg

IMPORTANT STEP! Put the breaded wings back in the fridge for at least an hour. This will help keep the breading on the wings when you fry them. Remove them when thoroughly chilled and drag them once more in the breading mixture:
SecondBreading.jpg

Heat clean oil in a frying pan to 375˚F (I use a pot to reduce the oil splatter, and use the medium High setting on the stove; if the oil smokes it’s too hot.) Place the wings in the hot oil, turning once, about 5-6 minutes per side:
Frying.jpg

I personally like sesame seeds on my wings, so I'll press (fairly hard) some seeds onto the wings before I put them in the fryer.

While they are frying, prepare the wing sauce. You’ll need:
SauceSpices.jpg

Ingredients:
  • ? cup Frank’s Original Hot Sauce (Texas Pete’s or Crystal work, as might others. I find Franks is the best IMO. Ask a visitor to bring down a couple of bottles.)
  • 1/3 cup melted butter (NOT margarine, it won’t work. Liquid margarine will but I don’t think it’s available in the DR
  • 1tsp prepared garlic
  • Dash of black pepper
Melt the butter (microwave works) add the other ingredients (the Franks should be room temperature) and mix well.
SauceMixed.jpg

Put the sauce in a bowl (I used a wooden salad bowl)

Remove the wings when they begin to brown, drain for a minute or so, and put them in the bowl with the sauce. Put a lid on the bowl and shake and swirl (I used two of the wooden salad bowls):
Shake.jpg

Serve them:
ReadyIII.jpg

ReadyII.jpg

With some rabbit food, of course:
Salad.jpg

I didn’t do it this time, but ordinarily I’d serve them with celery strips and blue cheese dressing.

Nothing like a plate of hot chicken wings to keep the attitude in Top Shape!

My next tip will be chili...

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptnGlenn

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What oil do you buy? I make wings (fair enough not as good looking as yours) once a week and the batter sticking and colour depends what oil I use. And some oil is just rubbish for deep frying.
So what brand and type do you get?

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Fantastic!
Since that is my fav healthfood

somebody please check playero for" Franks Red Hot sauce " ,I thought I saw it there !
Its a must have ,I need to know lol
Manu

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What oil do you buy? I make wings (fair enough not as good looking as yours) once a week and the batter sticking and colour depends what oil I use. And some oil is just rubbish for deep frying.
So what brand and type do you get?
Those were done in La Joya soy oil, but I've used Crisol vegetable oil as well. The BEST for really "proper" :cheeky: nutrition would be peanut oil.

Try the bread-->fridge for an hour-->bread trick and see if it stays on better.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Soy oil? that is where I have most problems. I use Crisol Veg oil with success.
The soy oil seems to take a lot longer to get up to temperature and then when it does it burns quicker, seems to be more temporamental so I avoid it now, or maybe it is my technique, lol, very possible.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Awesome !!! Like how you showed what ingredients you used.

Maybe a new thread for cooking in the Dominican Republic ???

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, it was good but needed more heat to suit me. I understand that when cooking for varied tastes you have to go with the milder version.
Next time....HEAT...:cheeky:

Yeah, I usually tame it down a little for first time guests.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well.....first it was Dr badpiece, the love doctor,

Now we have Cobraboys kitchen corner....:chinese:

Whatever next? Yanadu's budget bucket? Pleeeaase no!!!:bunny:

I would like a recipe area to exchange tips and experiments, doubt we'll get one though.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That was too funny !!!!!!!!!!!

Well.....first it was Dr badpiece, the love doctor,

Now we have Cobraboys kitchen corner....:chinese:

Whatever next? Yanadu's budget bucket? Pleeeaase no!!!:bunny:

I would like a recipe area to exchange tips and experiments, doubt we'll get one though.

LMAO :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: