Beach Access at the Pulpo Cojo Beach Bar in Punta Cana

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if there is a fee to access the beach at the Pulpo Cojo Beach Bar and resturant in Punta Cana? If so how much and what is the fee cover..chairs etc?? :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unless things have changed in the last few months, there is no cover. If you eat at the restaurant/order drinks from the bar you can use their beach loungers. I think you can access that stretch of beach without going through the restaurant and in that case you can use the beach anyway as long as you don't use their chairs.

Last time I went there the food was good but the service was surly and it was dirty - grubby tablecloths and napkins, badly washed glasses, nasty toilets, so I can't see myself going back there for a long time. Plenty of other good options in the area.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Chiri is right, there is no charge and you can access the beach there. I don't know if they really insist on buying from the restaurant or bar to use the chairs, might just depend on the whim of the staff at the moment. When I've been there I bought a beer to be polite and figured that was good enough, (I must admit though that one beer usually leads to several... lol.)

I've eaten at the restaurant(s).... Pulpo and the Steak house, a few times. As for the food, I didn't think it was fantastic, but it was between OK and good. Tourist prices of course. The service was sometimes very friendly and good, sometimes surly and slow. I didn't find it particularly dirty. The restrooms were serviceable, good by comparison to the usual public restroom in the D.R., and a little sketchy by U.S. standards.

Chiri... what are the other options in the area? Could go further down to los corales, by the Soles bar restaurant, and I think there's a beach access on the south/east side of Barcelo Dominican Beach... by the Beach Residency condo complex. Any others?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Beach access and several nice places in Los Corales, on and off the beach, and a little further down past Palma Real there's Bibijagua and JellyFish.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Don't be bothered with entering through Pulpo Cojo. Enter through the Carabela Beach Resort entrance just to the left of Pulpo Cojo. Make a quick right to the beach and use any of the chairs you wish towards the right. No one will bother you. You will be right next to Pulpo Cojo if you want to order something and bring it to your chair.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Can anyone tell me where I can find a local map of the El Corticeto-Los Corales areas along the beach??

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Don't be bothered with entering through Pulpo Cojo. Enter through the Carabela Beach Resort entrance just to the left of Pulpo Cojo. Make a quick right to the beach and use any of the chairs you wish towards the right. No one will bother you. You will be right next to Pulpo Cojo if you want to order something and bring it to your chair.

This sounds like a better option, is the Carabela Beach Resort gated??

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
No it is not gated; you can walk right in. Maps are usually available at the italian grocery store in los Corales.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
good tip TJ... last time I was there (Last August), Carabela was still closed down, I think for renovation. I'm surprised it is not gated / guarded. Every other resort is like trying to get into Fort Knox if you don't have a wrist band.

You can also get maps on Google, and also very good, large scale satellite images. Could probably even pick out your chair from those pics! lol

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
No it is not gated; you can walk right in. Maps are usually available at the italian grocery store in los Corales.

Is this the grocery store at the entrance to the El Dorado Village in the commercial area by the bakery??

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
good tip TJ... last time I was there (Last August), Carabela was still closed down, I think for renovation. I'm surprised it is not gated / guarded. Every other resort is like trying to get into Fort Knox if you don't have a wrist band.

You can also get maps on Google, and also very good, large scale satellite images. Could probably even pick out your chair from those pics! lol

Thanks CapnGLenn I will google and make my pallapa selection right away...LOL:)

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We were at Pulpo cojo last night. The washrooms were clean, the food was good and the price was fine. We paid about 30.00US for a pasta dish, mussels, 3 glasses red wine:squareeye and 2 coffee, we thought that pretty resonable since we dont usually eat at places like that. The place was clean and about 1/3 full. Sitting Bull was closed??

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
We were at Pulpo cojo last night. The washrooms were clean, the food was good and the price was fine. We paid about 30.00US for a pasta dish, mussels, 3 glasses red wine:squareeye and 2 coffee, we thought that pretty resonable since we dont usually eat at places like that. The place was clean and about 1/3 full. Sitting Bull was closed??

Thanks for the update...we will have to try it out..I have heard mixed reviews on this...always from one extreme to the next...they either love it or hate it....but I guess that's always a matter of opinion....and everybody has one;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We'd eaten there several times previously and it was all good, so after that last visit we had to conclude that they'd gone very steeply downhill. What must happen is that they have their off days and we were unlucky, but it still discourages me from going back. That memory of trying to drink water and wine from badly washed glasses still lingers.:ermm:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
We'd eaten there several times previously and it was all good, so after that last visit we had to conclude that they'd gone very steeply downhill. What must happen is that they have their off days and we were unlucky, but it still discourages me from going back. That memory of trying to drink water and wine from badly washed glasses still lingers.:ermm:

That would be a major turn off for me as well...hopefully we will hit it on a Good Day...I'll try it once perhaps a drink at the beach bar to check the sanitation of the glassware...dont want herpes from uncleanliness...yuke