Problem with Claro invoices

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Hi folks,

I very rarely complain about anything while I have lived here for the past 3 years but this situation takes the cake and I wanted you all to have a heads up on how Claro treats their long term customers. This story is not pretty.

I was informed by a friend to contact Indotel to see if they could help with the problem. Below is what I sent them in an email today.

I would like to bring to your attention a problem I am currently having with Clario in Puerto Plata. In September 2010, my wife bought me a new iPhone. I had no problems with the invoices of Clario in September, October, November or December. In January, Clario started charging me for Internet Usage. The first invoice had approximately $5,500 pesos charged for this. We disputed the charge and got a incident number. In February, not only did they not credit the disputed amount but they charge an additional $31,000 pesos for Internet use. Let?s be perfectly clear. I do not use my iPhone for Internet. We again disputed this amount in the Clario office in Puerto Plata. When my March bill came, I did have a credit of approximately $31,000 pesos which to me indicates that Clario wrongly charged me this amount but still no credit for the original charge. As well, there was another charge on my March bill for another $3,000 pesos Internet usage. We went back to the office of Clario where we were told that we had to pay both amounts or be cut off.

We tried 4 different times with 4 different people to resolve the issue making 2 trips from Sosua to Puerto Plata and wasting 6 hours of our time in the Claro office with no results. We paid the total bill today (March 26, 2011) because we need the service. I cancelled my contract today and went on prepay which is both inconvenient and costly to me. I would like your offices help in recovering the disputed Internet charges and to help get my contract re-instated with absolutely no possibility that I can be charged for Internet usage I DO NOT USE. When we left the Clario office today in Puerto Plata the employees where laughing at us as if they actually got away with stealing almost $13,000 pesos from us.

That is what I wrote and I am now waiting for a response. I am told that Indotel oversees the phone companies here in the DR and that only they can resolve such a dispute. We shall see. I also had Claro disconnect my iPhone from the Internet last month when we were there. I can't wait to see my final bill next month. I'll bet that they will charge me again for Internet that I DO NOT USE.

Take care folks and be careful out there.

Rick

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I hear your pain. I have an ongoing dispute with Claro going back close to 2 years. I REFUSE to pay the bill and took my business elsewhere. We are still fighting.

Sorry you are having such a bad time with them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Dafishguy, let us know what happens. There are many of us that have issues with Codetel, but haven't thought of going to Indotel.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
It was reported that the apple Iphone has quite a lot of internet overhead even if you do not use it for that!

You might want to check that out!

Windeguy would probably know !

HTH

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I reported an issue to Indotel a year or so ago and never heard back. I even followed up via an acquaintance who worked there and he found no trace of it even though the website gives you a reference number.

You're supposed to register a formal complaint with the company in question and then take it to Indotel, quoting the reference number.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Rick, at least you get to see the bill and what you are supposed to be paying for, so that you know what to contest.

In five months of my Claro "plan" (landline phone/cable TV/internet) I have only seen one monthly bill. It was for around RD$1800. I went in promptly to pay it and was told that I had to pay over RD$5000. Nobody could explain why. I have queued up several times at the "help" counters and had a few confusing explanations in Spanish too rapid for my rudimentary level and too complicated for my trusted Dominican "gofer" to comprehend. They seem unable to, or are unwilling to, print out for me the computer records that appear on the screen they are quoting to me or print out my alleged monthly accounts so that I can examine them in more lesiure at home. On average my monthly payments are around 50% more than I think they should be. I have now accepted it as one of the overheads of living in "Paradise".

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Well, I sure didn't expect this! Yesterday, I got a call from Ariel at Endotel. I was on the phone with him for 42 minutes while he sorted through my claim and while he discussed the problem with someone at Claro.

I am guessing that he has a special number for Claro as I didn't wait long for him to get back on the line with me when he said he needed to contact Claro. Anyway, long story short. Claro has been forced to credit my account approximately $12,500 pesos. Now, Endotel has launched an investigation into the charges and tell me everything should be resolved in 20 days.

I have confidence in what this guy said because as soon as I started talking with him and discussing the problem he said, don't worry we have a lot of claims regarding this problem.

So far, so good. I'll keep you all posted.

Rick

Feb 7, 2007
If you use at least some mobile data, I think an unlimited data plan for RD$1300 with taxes is well worth avoiding any possible hassle and overcharge issue. Simply put, when you have unlimited data, they cannot charge you more than the "unlimited data fee" which is 995 + taxes.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Success!!!

I received a judgement from Endotel (14 pages) ordering Claro to not only reimburse me for the Internet overcharge but also to pay me another $2,000 pesos for time, effort and gasoline in trying to resolve the issue without involving Endotel. I received the total amount as a credit on my phone and I am now happy. If any of you out there are having trouble with Claro or any other phone company in the DR, give Endotel a try and see if they can't help you out just like they helped me.

I fart on you Claro, LOL A win for the little guy!

Good luck,

Rick

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Success!!!
but also to pay me another $2,000 pesos for time, effort and gasoline in trying to resolve the issue without involving Endotel.

That is unheard of, well done. Good will gestures in the DR? whatever next, customer call back service!!