Hey Everyone

OhHey

Mar 26, 2011
So...

I've just made the crazy decision to book a flight to the Dominican. I plan on staying for about 3-4 weeks. (I'm English).

The decision is crazy because I don't know anyone there, and I have no idea the best places to stay. Basically I want to stay as near to the best clubs as possible, in Santo Domingo.

My budget is unlimited, but I would like to stay at a decent, not over-the-top hotel / apartment. If you have any recommendations, please do share them.

Location is more important to me than anything.

Also, if you have any good links on visa issues (I've just read I need a return ticket...doh!) then please do share them.

Last but not least, thanks for all of you in contributing to this forum. I've been reading for a few hours now and really appreciate all of the discussions.

(I'm 20 years old)

JoshuaNYC

Dec 21, 2010
I like your spirit. Solo travel is enlightening. Best area for clubs in Santo Domingo is Venezuela Ave. Not many quality hotels that close though. One Hotel: Hotel BQ on Ave Bol?var not too far from Churchill Ave. I prefer to stay in/near Zona Colonial area (oldest part of city) a lot of bars within walking distance, and taxi to Venezuela Ave. Colonial Zone hotels: Hotel Mercure, Hotel Discovery, Hotel Palacio.
It depends much on what you want to do in Santo Domingo so, not knowing what you objectives are, except that you want to go to clubs, not easy to suggest much. Helps to speak some Spanish and know how to dance a little Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, but you may not have time to learn all that. Reggaeton is big in SD also.
Tell me more about what you want to do and I'll give you more specifics. I was last in SD over Christmas/New Years and completely enjoyed myself all over the city. Met a bunch of new, fun friends. Peace and fun!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I'm English too. Nice to get away to the beaches also. Check out Las Terrenas. A few clubs - nice atmosphere. Methods vary to get there but basically a 3 hour bus ride. I have lived here for 6 years.
Cost about 10 dollars.
English friend who runs this hotel is a party animal!
Jurassic Park Hotel - Hotels & Resorts - Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic.
holds great parties at his hotel and is excellent guide.
Hope this escapes the censor since he advertises on dr1!
Good luck!
There is no visa requirement provided you are British or I think UK resident.
Yanandu

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It's the Dominican Republic - not the Dominican. You can call it the D.R. if you want to shorten it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's the Dominican Republic - not the Dominican. You can call it the D.R. if you want to shorten it.

Don't worry, retiree, I'm with you. It just messes with my nerves when people say that. How can you get on a plane and go to a country, not even knowing the proper name? But the media is also to blame because they say "The Dominican" on tv too many times to count.
But I digress....back to the OP's original inquiry....

SHALENA

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
OK, unless I missed something, we know that the OP is 20 and English. We do NOT know if we are giving recommendations to "him" or "her", and that could certainly be a significant factor in what he/she would want to do.;)

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
No visa issues that I'm aware of.

Just have to pay (800 pesos about) when you leave. Maybe not even that.

I agree with staying in the colonial zone, but I don't have personal hotel recommendations. I've heard go things about Hostal Nomad it has a relaxed bar on the roof. I"ll look for a link. http://www.hostelio.com/dominican-republic/santo-domingo/hostal-nomads.html

Bars in ZC: La Espiral, Onnos, OBriens,

In the city: Shots, Prya (sp?), Camden Parlour

I wouldn't be caught dead in la Venezuela, but that's just me :) Unless, as Sweet said, you are male and looking to hook up.

I'm 26 and Canadian, if that matters :)

dominicanadian

Aug 30, 2010
Dominican, Dominican, Dominican,:devious: If you want to be even more correct it is Republica Dominicana. Oh my, get a life. Turn some more newbies off of this site??? I think everyone understood what was ment!!! All over the world people often refer to the RD, DR, as the Dominican. Even in the travel agencies. Wow. OhHey.... I agree the Zona colonial is pretty cool area, If you really want to figure it out, give the people here a better idea of what is the ultimate experience in your eyes. Beaches, Music you like, Gender, Budget....ect... it will help you get more of the information you were looking for. Without smart*** comments.

OhHey

Mar 26, 2011
Which Dominican did you book a flight to?

SHALENA

SDQ is the airport.

I like your spirit. Solo travel is enlightening. Best area for clubs in Santo Domingo is Venezuela Ave. Not many quality hotels that close though. One Hotel: Hotel BQ on Ave Bol?var not too far from Churchill Ave. I prefer to stay in/near Zona Colonial area (oldest part of city) a lot of bars within walking distance, and taxi to Venezuela Ave. Colonial Zone hotels: Hotel Mercure, Hotel Discovery, Hotel Palacio.
It depends much on what you want to do in Santo Domingo so, not knowing what you objectives are, except that you want to go to clubs, not easy to suggest much. Helps to speak some Spanish and know how to dance a little Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, but you may not have time to learn all that. Reggaeton is big in SD also.
Tell me more about what you want to do and I'll give you more specifics. I was last in SD over Christmas/New Years and completely enjoyed myself all over the city. Met a bunch of new, fun friends. Peace and fun!

Thanks for the recommendations. Basically I run my own business and haven't took a break for 2 years. I just want to party and meet girls basically. I won't beat around the bush about it ;). Just want to have a good time.

I'm English too. Nice to get away to the beaches also. Check out Las Terrenas. A few clubs - nice atmosphere. Methods vary to get there but basically a 3 hour bus ride. I have lived here for 6 years.
Cost about 10 dollars.
English friend who runs this hotel is a party animal!
Jurassic Park Hotel - Hotels & Resorts - Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic.
holds great parties at his hotel and is excellent guide.
Hope this escapes the censor since he advertises on dr1!
Good luck!
There is no visa requirement provided you are British or I think UK resident.
Yanandu

Thanks Yanandu,

A 3 hour bus ride seems a bit extreme, but could definitely do it for a weekend or something. Appreciate the suggestion.

Noted.

OK, unless I missed something, we know that the OP is 20 and English. We do NOT know if we are giving recommendations to "him" or "her", and that could certainly be a significant factor in what he/she would want to do.;)

Sorry, I'm a "him".

No visa issues that I'm aware of.

Just have to pay (800 pesos about) when you leave. Maybe not even that.

I agree with staying in the colonial zone, but I don't have personal hotel recommendations. I've heard go things about Hostal Nomad it has a relaxed bar on the roof. I"ll look for a link. Hostal Nomads in Santo Domingo Dominican Republic - Book Hostel Online

Bars in ZC: La Espiral, Onnos, OBriens,

In the city: Shots, Prya (sp?), Camden Parlour

I wouldn't be caught dead in la Venezuela, but that's just me :) Unless, as Sweet said, you are male and looking to hook up.

I'm 26 and Canadian, if that matters :)

Thanks for the suggestions and link -- exactly what I was looking for.

Dominican, Dominican, Dominican,:devious: If you want to be even more correct it is Republica Dominicana. Oh my, get a life. Turn some more newbies off of this site??? I think everyone understood what was ment!!! All over the world people often refer to the RD, DR, as the Dominican. Even in the travel agencies. Wow. OhHey.... I agree the Zona colonial is pretty cool area, If you really want to figure it out, give the people here a better idea of what is the ultimate experience in your eyes. Beaches, Music you like, Gender, Budget....ect... it will help you get more of the information you were looking for. Without smart*** comments.

I like hip-hop and anything modern / commercial. As long as it's danceable, I really don't mind. Budget is probably around $4,000 for 3 weeks (on top of flights), but it can be expanded if necessary.

Basically I would appreciate tips on getting around safely, good places to go. I guess if I go anywhere - like the town 3 hours away someone mentioned above - I'll have to sort out accommodation in those areas as well.

Are taxis safe?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You certainly know the usability of the site functions very well for an absolute newbie:surprised if you navigate your way around the country as well as that as quick as that you will have as good as time as someone who's been before. Good stuff:bandit:

OhHey

Mar 26, 2011
You might Consider "A motel 6" they are everywhere.. Will Leave a light on..

I feel like this is a joke. If not, a very mysteriuos reply. What is a motel 6?

I was being sarcastic...THERE IS NO COUNTRY NAMED "THE DOMINICAN"

SHALENA

Okay, I gracefully ignored the first comment, but really?

If you guys want more people to use this site, you might want to let up on being so anal about that. It's an easy mistake to make.

You certainly know the usability of the site functions very well for an absolute newbie:surprised if you navigate your way around the country as well as that as quick as that you will have as good as time as someone who's been before. Good stuff:bandit:

Hah, thanks.

I've actually ran a few big social networks that had forums using the same software as this. A few had 100,000+ members, so I had to navigate around them quickly.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was being sarcastic...THERE IS NO COUNTRY NAMED "THE DOMINICAN"

SHALENA
There is no country named "AMERICA", or "THE UNITED STATES" or "THE STATES" either, but many, many people use those terms and we don?t get sarcastic with them.

It?s the "United States of America".

July 11, 1778:
"United States of America" was used on the country's bills of exchange, and it has been the official name ever since
Many Dominicans call their country "Santo Domingo" instead of "Republica Dominicana" and we don?t get sarcastic with them.....

We all know what posters mean when they say the Dominican...........
After all, they are posting on a REPUBLICA DOMINICANA oriented web site.

This country is not the "Dominican Republic", it?s "Republica Dominicana".
At least that is what I see on all the official documents and currency.

"Dominican Republic" is an English translation used for convenience, just like the other terms for the United States of America.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I don't have a huge problem with the use of "the Dominican", especially now as an expanding group of english-speaking Dominicans are using it. The comparisons with shortened versions of the United States of America are not valid however. I've never heard anyone refer to the US as "the American".

OhHey

Mar 26, 2011
Seems like this has really gone off-topic :(

I'll try another forum for my Q's. Thanks anyway guys.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I agree

I don't have a huge problem with the use of "the Dominican", especially now as an expanding group of english-speaking Dominicans are using it. The comparisons with shortened versions of the United States of America are not valid however. I've never heard anyone refer to the US as "the American".

I agree it is ridiculous jabbing at people, especially out of country visitors or newbies, for using "Dominican". Its a little over the top being offended about such little things.Almost someone looking for an arguement-Life is too short!

And yes, the Country, the resorts, hotels, and restaurants will gladly accept your money here even though you have not used the exact terminology.