Electricity connection

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had signed a contract for the electricity about 15 days ago. They told me that I will be connected in 4 days. But as of now they had not connected. I am going to their office twice daily and every time they say that the lineman went with my contract and I will be connected in few hours. This is the same answer they give me everytime. Someone told me that I had to find the crew and have to give some money otherwise they never going to connect it. Is it true? Other person told me that I can myself connect it and they will later come and put the meter. Can I connect myself? I am in severe problem as the grace time with my current house owner had elapsed and they told me that I had to vacate by tomorrow.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Fairly normal to offer 500 pesos. They will provide the meter but you have to do the final
connection yourself - from your cable to the meter. They will normally leave 2 exposed wires.
See if you can get the number of the meter so you know its yours. I have known the meter to be installed but the person has not known they need to make the final connection themselves.
Otherwise buy some candles/oil lights and an ice box to keep food and put some purchased ice in it every couple of days.
Would be useful for the beach afterwards.
So romantic.
Or you could buy a cheap generator. Possibly batteries / inverter /solar panels - could come in handy.
Yanandu

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Fairly normal to offer 500 pesos. They will provide the meter but you have to do the final
connection yourself - from your cable to the meter. They will normally leave 2 exposed wires.
See if you can get the number of the meter so you know its yours. I have known the meter to be installed but the person has not known they need to make the final connection themselves.
Otherwise buy some candles/oil lights and an ice box to keep food and put some purchased ice in it every couple of days.
Would be useful for the beach afterwards.
So romantic.
Or you could buy a cheap generator. Possibly batteries / inverter /solar panels - could come in handy.
Yanandu

Sometimes I wonder where you come up with this BS. I have NEVER heard of anyone having to do the final connection themselves. You consistently provide misleading information.

To the OP - it is fairly common to "propina" your installers. Go find the crew and offer a little something to smooth the way. THEY will install your meter and hook you up! You do not want to be touching that stuff yourself. Watch them, make sure it is done and test your electricity in the house/apt. Treat them with courtesy and respect and it will go a long way to helping you out.

Rico K.

May 11, 2009
www.juandolio.info
"... They will provide the meter but you have to do the final connection yourself - from your cable to the meter. They will normally leave 2 exposed wires ..."

"... I have NEVER heard of anyone having to do the final connection themselves ..."
In case of no existing wiring from the meter to the house circuit breaker panels, yanandu is right, the technicians from the distribution companies won't pull any cables from the meter to your house. They just install and seal the meter and leave some wires hanging out for you to connect the main cable leading up to your private distribution panel yourself.
This is because they 1st do not have the material (cables, main circuit breaker, junction boxes, cable lugs etc.) to connect your house and 2nd are not responsible to check* and connect your private wiring system. They are only responsible to provide energy from the grid up to the meter and not for the wiring of your house/apartment.
BUT... Since in most cases there is already a cable leading to the distribution panel of the house/apartment they will of course connect it to the meter and seal the meter after they have connected both sides (grid and house).

*In many cases the wiring-systems installed by self-employed electricians (I have the impression that this could be everybody owning some cutting-pliers and a screwdriver...) are not up to any standards/codes but are pretty confusing/faulty (for example: switched polarization...) and the earthing wires are most likely to be completely missing.

"... Someone told me that I had to find the crew and have to give some money otherwise they never going to connect it. Is it true? ..."
I wouldn't say never but it might take some considerable time. You better adjust to the local lubrication system...

"... Other person told me that I can myself connect it and they will later come and put the meter. Can I connect myself? ..."
I would recommend you do no such thing. It can be considered electricity theft and this - especially in case of a wealthy gringo - might get very expensive...

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Making You Own "Connection" IS VERY COMMON HERE!

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have an electrician (Univ. Degree) ,"ON CALL"!
When I bought my house 13 years ago,he "Hooked Me Up"!
The ONLY time the "Corporacion"seems to be able to find a house,is when they want to "DISconnect you!
For 10 years,they NEVER came! AND,I NEVER paid either!
When they started to come around,I did give them 500 pesos,and told them to go get some "CERVESA"!
Now that I am connected,and paying 11 or 12,000 pesos a month,they still come and disconnect me when I am a day late paying!
The DR is a "Self-Help" society!
Do what you have to do to SURVIVE!
I hope your tenants are are from the USA,Canada,the "British Empire",or NORTHERN Europe. AND,the contract MUST be in the tenants name,NOT YOURS,same with the telephone/internet/cable TV!! Otherwise,you will get stuck paying their unpaid utility bills when they"Skip Out"!
Cris Colon

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I stand corrected. I've never done a NEW installation,it has always been existing.

Let's clarify with the OP then. IS this a new installation? Was there a tenant before or contract before????

AND for a small "propina" I am sure you can get the full connection done. ;)

AND yes - if you have a screwdriver and wire cutters -you are an electrician. If you have a wrench you are a mechanic. Got a pipe wrench - heck you are a plumber.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Sometimes I wonder where you come up with this BS. I have NEVER heard of anyone having to do the final connection themselves. You consistently provide misleading information.

To the OP - it is fairly common to "propina" your installers. Go find the crew and offer a little something to smooth the way. THEY will install your meter and hook you up! You do not want to be touching that stuff yourself. Watch them, make sure it is done and test your electricity in the house/apt. Treat them with courtesy and respect and it will go a long way to helping you out.

No BS I am right!
Yanandu.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My house in Santiago was a brand new construction and I did not have to do anything with any wires or cables. Once I paid the electric company they came out and did it, albeit a week late

SHALENA

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had rented an apartment and there is no need for any wiring to be done. They just need to come and connect me to the grid. I am ready to give the propina but the problem is I am not able to spot the crew who are in charge. I am regularly visiting their office but they just tell me that the crew is on the way to my apartment. I would return and wait for them but they never show up. Anyhow I had moved in today and I myself hooked to the grid. The electrician who helped me told that I would not have any problem because I am having the contract already. Let me face it whatever comes by. May be I need to give double dose of the propina.