Edenorte problem today anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anybody else without power most of March 27th into March 28th?

The excuse du jour was that there is a problem with a transmission line somewhere near the POP airport. :ermm:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
in front of Ocean Dream plaza a power pole snapped about 6' from the top and swung out over the road where it was hanging only by the electrical wires. 11pm-ish a bucket truck was working on it. don't know if they're yet finished.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That would be a separate, but perhaps related issue, from power being off since 1:30 PM this afternoon. From what I can tell there has not been any power in the Cabarete area all afternoon and still none now.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
That would be a separate, but perhaps related issue, from power being off since 1:30 PM this afternoon

that 'could be' when it happened. I was in pto plata from noon, saw it when I came back at 6pm .... really big portion of the pole suspended 25 feet above the road. I'm impressed they got a big truck out late on a Sunday to work on it

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
Yea im in Sabanetta it was off all day yesterday came on at 130am went off again id say around 530 am was in when I just got back home went off 10 minutes ago something is up because im used to power outages here but not like this so something is up? Oh well im sure it will be back on

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte says yet another broken line today

When I called Edenorte today about the total of 15 minutes of power so far today they said it was yet another broken line. I have no idea how far ranging today's problem is.

Every time Edenorte turns on the power, the massive power surge of all the inverters starting to charge batteries along with all the refrigerators, lights and appliances turning on at the same time has to stress the very frail system. It is no wonder that the transmission lines develop so many open circuits.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
yea i got the same issue out here in Sabaneta yesterday i probabally 4 hours of Edenorte. I need a small windmill like one of my neighbours used to have just to charge my inversore it was small but im sure it genorated enopugh poer to constantly charge the inversore batteries does anyone know what I am talking about ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yea i got the same issue out here in Sabaneta yesterday i probabally 4 hours of Edenorte. I need a small windmill like one of my neighbours used to have just to charge my inversore it was small but im sure it genorated enopugh poer to constantly charge the inversore batteries does anyone know what I am talking about ?

Unless you are talking about an inverter/charger with just two batteries to keep on a fluorescent bulb lit at night, a small wind turbine won't do much for you.

I have looked into solar panels and wind power, but neither are close to being cost effective. So we deal with the incompetence of Edenorte by generating our own power when needed.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
ok thanks for the advice my little inverter i had with 2 batteries in my old house would last all day with a tv n fan going not bad.
Now with a bigger one it seems like last few days power has not been on long enough to charge all the batteries ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ok thanks for the advice my little inverter i had with 2 batteries in my old house would last all day with a tv n fan going not bad.
Now with a bigger one it seems like last few days power has not been on long enough to charge all the batteries ?

It takes about 5 hours to charge the batteries from a 20% state of charge. And even that is charging them a little faster than they should be charged for long battery life. So if you aren't getting at least 5 hours of power each time before you hit that 20% left level, you will lose power. Your inverter should have a battery protection setting to turn off at 20% left. If you discharge below that you will quickly need new batteries.

The last couple of days have been exceptionally bad compared to just the normally pitifully bad power.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So typical of Edenorte - "We fixed today's problem yesterday." What????

There are a standard list of responses from Edenorte when you call.

"There is a broken line and we are fixing it" is the most often used one, followed by a "problem with a transformer needing to be repaired or replaced." Hopefully it isn't the "replaced" scenario, because that can take a while.

Another one is that the "Generator is down for maintenance". All the above are real problems that are actually sometimes actually even true.

Today I got a fourth one when calling to ask why there was no response.
"We thought that problem was already fixed". Of course it was about a problem I called in about today that they thought they fixed yesterday. I don't think anyone can explain that logic, don't even try.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
lol funny i just got back from ecuador and no power outages onethingi did notice was ever single house apartment watever no matter where had a meter i asked the guy was driving us back forth how much he pays a month he said between 7 - 10 bucks !! They also have quite a bit of hydro electric plants the one were we where repairing the tnnel made up 12 % of ecaudor's electricty !! Well mabeone day they will get it toget stillno lights here in sabaneta though all day

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Today our power went out at 10 am and came back on about 10 minutes ago - after 10 PM.

I called Ede Norte 4 times and got 4 completely different answers.

The last time the guy told me all of POP was out. Really I said, I am standing on my patio looking out over POP and that is NOT TRUE. He called me a liar - told me the whole city was out.

Morons. IF they would just tell the truth then you could at least plan your day - night - next day.........

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
AND now a question:

My electricity came back but not my 220!!! How can that be? what would cause this?

Thanks for any help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had more than 10 hours without power in costambar. needless to say our inversor gave its last croak.

BDAboy

Nov 26, 2010
power came back on at about 6pm yesterday stayed on all night went off at about 930 today but i think its suppose to go ff today because its tuesday lol

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
And I have had an electrician in my place most of the morning. The electric came back on after 10 last night and blew my air conditioner and the line leading to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF course it will not be their fault!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody HELL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AND now a question:

My electricity came back but not my 220!!! How can that be? what would cause this?

Thanks for any help.

That sounds like the transformer feeding your house has a problem. Could be why you had some items blow up as well. There are two "legs" of 110 that provide you with 220 and one of those legs has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.