Looking for suggestions/tips/feedback on Mudanza costs

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hey everyone,

Im am looking for some feedback/suggestions/tips on doing a Mudanza from NYC to Santiago. Have you or anyone you know done a mudanza to DR of all there belongings?

1) What was the costs?
2) Suggest any companies in the NY area?
3) Any tips or shared experiences? Such as how to protect furniture, how to properly package items? How to minimize costs?
4) Were you charged extra for the TVs?
5) Did the shipping company inform you of Ley 146?
6) Anything lost/broken during the shipping?
7) What season/month would be the best month to ship?
8) Did they come to your house to evaluate your household items?

Thanks.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
you didnt pick a shipping company yet? I know of La Famosa in the Bronx will ship directly to Santiago. As will Iwilda Shipping and La Vega Shipping. But I have a friend who works in La Famosa.

I can get you the number and you can call and ask them yourself...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Embarque La Famosa
2249 Washington Ave ,
Bronx, NY , 10457-1445
Tel: (718) 295-2300

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Cost depends on what you're shipping..... fridge, barrel, whatever.

WW
But I figure they have a set price for a "mudanza"; or bascially do they just calculate the cost per item and add it up? If that, would it be better to rent/buy a full container and ship it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They have "set prices" ( at least Awilda does) for barrels, for refrigerators, and perhaps other standard items.
If you are using a standard 24'X24'' box, or other strightforward box - they should have a price.

I am in the process of shipping a lawn mower - now. They won't price it until the box arrives at their door..... then you send them the money.

Container shipments are for large shipments.... most are 20 feet long and run $3-4000 for the trip plus the "door to door" on the RD end.

There are threads here on this but I recall a barrel is about $130 for the trip down and you get to keep the barrel -- thats NYC to your door.

WW