Facebook Stats - Dominican Republic

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Users: 1,844,740 (Ranked #56 in the world as of this post)

19% of the population has a Facebook account or 61% of the online population.
25 yrs old+ own 47% of the accounts. Evenly split between males and females.

Santo Domingo has 1,481,160 users, ranked #8 in Latin America, between Medellin (Colombia) and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).

Source: socialbakers.com

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I believe it, the younger generation are crazy for social websites. That figure 61% is quite freaky though.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I believe it, the younger generation are crazy for social websites. That figure 61% is quite freaky though.

The percentage of 25+ users is fascinating. More than just the younger generation is connected [although to me anyone not yet 50 is the younger generation ;>]. The numbers beg the question: how is the medium being used? Social websites seem to have ignited and sustained liberation movements throughout the middle east. What effect will they have on the Dominican Republic? Although members probably don't think of DR1 in this way, it also is a social website that has been a source of invaluable information for those living and visiting the DR and a place where friendships have been forged. FB and Twitter, etc, appear to be more familiar to the general population and they have had a serious political impact in other societies and have been used effectively by successful politicians here in the US and elsewhere. Will they affect the political terrain there and/or play any significant role in the 2012 elections?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
For me Facebook has been useful as I found most of my childhood friends in this site, in most case I did not have any information of them for more than 30 years.

This is a public profile, La tropa virtual de amigos del INVI.

We are sending presents from abroad for the poor kids for Christmas and other special events, helping our friends when they need economy support.

Right Now our Friend Luis Gomez (of a very poor Dominican family) is going through a medical situation with no economy resources, we have a bank account opened so that the members of our group can send deposit from abroad.

INVI - El Parque Virtual | Facebook

JJ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

If you look at the numbers for Facebook in general, you will be surprised at how many of the 35+ crowd have active accounts, it's massive, 40% of all Facebook users in the USA are 35+. Only 11% of the active accounts are held by users that are younger than 18.