In need of some good sound advice...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I normally don't post much. I'm more of a behind the scenes kinda guy here on DR1.

Last year I had posted on the forum that I was to take on the task of remodeling a very old apartment my mom has in Santiago. The project is now well underway and will be finished in less than a month. My mom lives in NY so do I and so does my sister. In the past between the three of us we travel to Santiago probably 2 or 3 times a year. Now that we will have this place and we don't have to stay with family we plan to visit more often. I should have thought about this before but it just dawned on me...who the heck is going to protect the property when we are not there :ermm::ermm::ermm:

A family member is out of the question. I have a large family and know them very well. Can't trust them! I thought about hiring a cleaning person to go once a week to dust the place. However, I have been told that that isn't enough. Someone needs to be there all the time. I am really worried now! Everything in the apt is first class. And I plan on furnishing it and sending top of the line appliances in the near future.

What are my options (if any) here folks? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Security Company

Hi:

I am not familiar with Santiago but in the rest of the DR there are professional security companies that you can hire to protect your investment. I would go on the internet or get a name of a company from someone on this forum. The other option is to hire a property management company who will also over see your property and may be able to provide you with a security guard.

S

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In my building I could leave for 6 months and wouldn't think twice about the place being broken into. Then again it's secure and I have decent neighbors.

What sector is your apartment located in?

Apartments are normally easier to secure than a house. Whats the location, how many floors up, do you have security bars and gate etc? Apartment admin and security guard?

All you need is someone that has the key and can pass by and look in on the place once a week. I would send a note to AZB or Hillbilly and see if they can help out.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi Robert.

It's in La Zurza. The apt is on a second floor. It will have iron bars on all windows and an iron door before you get to the wooden one. The iron work is being done by someone I know and he is AMAZING. I've seen his work and he does a terrific job. There are no apartment admins or security guards. The building itself is quite old. It's right on Avenida La Francia a block down from the monument.

My mom who is there now overseeing the project spoke to the first floor neighbor and said that thieves broke into the apartment above us a few months ago. That said...they didn't have iron bars on the windows and they too live in NY like my family and visit there every so often.

I've heard horror stories of how thieves use car jacks to break open the iron guards and it creeps me out.

So if I have real good iron guards on all windows and main door and someone goes to check in on the place once in a while you think I should be ok? Maybe I should look into seurity companies.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Hi Robert.

It's in La Zurza. The apt is on a second floor. It will have iron bars on all windows and an iron door before you get to the wooden one. The iron work is being done by someone I know and he is AMAZING. I've seen his work and he does a terrific job. There are no apartment admins or security guards. The building itself is quite old. It's right on Avenida La Francia a block down from the monument.

My mom who is there now overseeing the project spoke to the first floor neighbor and said that thieves broke into the apartment above us a few months ago. That said...they didn't have iron bars on the windows and they too live in NY like my family and visit there every so often.

I've heard horror stories of how thieves use car jacks to break open the iron guards and it creeps me out.

So if I have real good iron guards on all windows and main door and someone goes to check in on the place once in a while you think I should be ok? Maybe I should look into seurity companies.

Are you talking about the place on the corner of 16 de Agosto y Francia? or further down the hill?

Where are you now? In NY? If so, I have this security wholesaler catalog you can have to order IR cameras and all types of controlled entry devices.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as cleaning goes once a week should be sufficient or even only twice a month imo.

Also, assuming you got a good herrero they should have used the heavy twisted bars and anchored them numerous places. This doesn't mean that it can't be broken into but with an alarm system too this gives time for the private security firm to get there. Speaking of the latter they are all the rage and I imagine many people in your situation are their primary clients.

Also, is the apartment on the ground floor? Finally, I wouldn't trust leaving your keys with any cleaning lady but with a friend who can open the apartment up twice a month and stay while she cleans.

You can send me a pm and we can chat on the phone over various options if you want.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since the apartment will not be occupied between family visits, no more than once a week is enough. You could even try every other week with a good cleaning just before family arrives.

Security is more of a concern, especially if there is no security in the building. Good bars and an iron door will help a lot. Put two different locks on the door. The type that locks with a bolt is the best. We have a couple such doors in the condo where I live and one of the locks is the type that you have to turn the key around a couple of times in order to open the bolt.

Large appliances should be ok. Hard for a thief to walk down the stairs with a refrigerator or stove without being noticed.

You could put in an alarm with sensors on the bars and iron door that would go off if somebody tried to force them open. They would be better in your case than a motion detector in the apartment. The installer can make these sensors as sensitive as you want them, but the alarm would certainly go off before they are removed or opened.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You could also make an inner room from metal for storage of all small items; it could have separate alarm and on going store ornaments, pictures, food cans, rugs , clothes etc. , plates tv, hi fi etc. This would make cleaning easy and could be a loft area or bed platform etc. If you think copying keys is possible a digital combination lock is good. You can change the combination.
An alarm with mobile sim card will call both you and the security co on a break in.
You can then supervise the process. It will work even when the phone line is cut and the electricity is off.
Also a internet camera is possible so you can see into the apartment from you cell-phone etc.
A light beam system is good also and more reliable than movement sensors.
Some wireless devices work from batteries. These need checking every 2-3 months.

Yanandu