Need help with my new KINDLE !!!

leenott

Jan 19, 2011
Have just received my kindle, and I can't work out how to turn it OFF ! Are you supposed to turn it off ??
How long does it take to charge?
There is a crazy message on the screen that makes NO sense
"If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer "
HOW will it continue charging if I eject it ????

IF I leave it charging and turn off my netbook, is it STILL charging ???
HELP !!!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's all automatic.
It switches itself off after a short time but the picture stays on.
You can leave it connected or just unplug take it away.
It's probably better to use the eject icon at the bottom of the computer screen but I don't bother.It looks after itself, you just slide the button on the bottom to resume reading.
I love it.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Have just received my kindle, and I can't work out how to turn it OFF ! Are you supposed to turn it off ??
"If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer "

HELP !!!

It sounds as if your Kindle is connected to your computer via the USB cord, right?

If so, that message means that your Kindle is connected to your computer as a "USB Mass Storage Device." You can transfer books, etc while it is connected that way.

If you want to charge the Kindle via USB, but read it at the same time, you have to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option - which is how you are supposed to eject flash drives, external hard drives etc. I usually click on that icon in the tray (there is a green arrow over a bar) but I think that you can also chose the Kindle in "My Computer" and then left click on "eject."

The Kindle will continue to charge, even if the computer is turned off, as long as the computer is plugged in. Otherwise, charging the Kindle will discharge your laptop/netbook battery.

Jan 17, 2009
If you charge it with the Wi-Fi off and connected to an outlet, it takes about two hours. But if you leave the wi-fi on it takes a lot longer. Same if you "eject" but keep on using while charging through your computer USB.

You can turn it on and off, but sliding the switch. That's all.

I love my Kindle! It takes a little bit of time to get used to it.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
And remember when searching for books via your computer, search by price from $0 and you will find tons of free or .99 books.

Jan 17, 2009
One more thing to share, just in case you don't know, you can immediately cancel a purchase that you made by mistake, and return any Kindle book for 7 days.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

HELP !!!

Kindle is great. Just slide the switch on the bottom to turn it on or off and, as mentioned above, there is always some kind of picture on the screen all the time. 1000's of free books on the internet. Enjoy.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Sliding the on/off button puts it in to 'sleep mode'. That is when you'll see a picture of something on the screen (screen saver). This is great if you are going to be using the device again soon. If you aren't going to use it for some time you may want to turn it right off, which saves your battery charge longer. To do this you slide the on/off button to the right for several seconds until the screen goes blank.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you keep it offline except for when you're downloading purchases the battery lasts for about a month.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com

HELP !!!

To turn it off - hold the switch on the bottom to the right against its stop for about 6 seconds, the LED on the bottom flashed three times and the screen goes blank. I turn mine off when I am not using it. To put the unit in stand-by mode, slide the switch to the right briefly and the screen will change to a screen saver picture. To un-mount the Kindle, open my computer, you will see the kindle displayed as an external drive - right click the kindle & select eject. The unit can now be used as normal with the USB cable attached to the PC and will charge up like this. It takes approximately 2-3 hours to charge and the LED light on the bottom goes from orange to green to signify it has charged.
Happy reading.

Tropical regards
Ian & Ellie

Last edited: