The Cheap and the Free in PC

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Hi all

After being here for several months, I have realised that any recreation and activities tend to cost alot of money.

Other than relaxing on the beach does anyone have little gems of cheapness that you can occupy your time with here?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good question whippet! I was recently asked to write a piece on Punta Cana/B?varo insider knowledge and couldn't come up with much. As well as costing money, most places of interest and activities are put on for the tourists and can't be described as 'off the beaten track' or a secret only the locals know about, otherwise they're not clean, safe or wholesome enough for me to recommend. Or, it involves driving out of the area - e.g. a day trip to somewhere like Miches.

Off the top of my head: Some type of exercise that doesn't involve joining a gym or paying to use expensive facilities, like running or walking, and there is a group that organises weekend bicycle outings biciclubbavaro which I plan to join one day. :)

In Punta Cana village we have the occasional free concert and community events - usually in the run-up to Christmas. I belong to a women's bookclub that meets once a month. You were at the marathon so you already know about Tricana and all their activities. Punta Cana Marathon

There are some natural pools near Ver?n - but the litter ruins the experience.

Will be watching for other suggestions - maybe I'll be able to write that article after all!

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts
I enjoyed your use of words "otherwise they're not clean, safe or wholesome enough for me to recommend".

I guess the lack of activities... does come along with living in a tourist town and one with lots of all inclusive resorts.

will look into the bike club thing.

on that topic was looking for a cheapo bicycle that I could ride to the beach.
any ideas where to look??

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Surfing at Playa Macao :) If you don't have a surf board, Macao Surf Camp will rent you one for RD$500 for the day.

Yes have been body surfing here good fun!

do you surf yourself?

How good can the wave get here both times I have been has been quite messy

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Sporting Clubs/Social Clubs

Just wondering if anyone could recommend any sporting clubs.

ie tennis club...

Or is all the sporting facilities just for those staying in resorts??

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for your thoughts
I enjoyed your use of words "otherwise they're not clean, safe or wholesome enough for me to recommend".

I guess the lack of activities... does come along with living in a tourist town and one with lots of all inclusive resorts.

will look into the bike club thing.

on that topic was looking for a cheapo bicycle that I could ride to the beach.
any ideas where to look??

The nearest bike shop would probably be in Higuey. There are some bicycles for sale - not cheapos though - in Ferreteria Americana and in the toy shop in Punta Cana village. There's a vehicle mechanic in Ver?n (dirt track across the road from Banco de Reservas) called Palamara who has a sideline in bicycle repairs, he might be able to help with used bikes.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Yes have been body surfing here good fun!

do you surf yourself?

How good can the wave get here both times I have been has been quite messy

Yes I surf a lot. The waves are normally choppy if there is a nearby storm. In general, Macao gets nice sets of glassy waves or none at all :( It does not have the consistant surf a beach like Playa Encuentro would get in Cabarete; but I've surfed the entire country and I enjoy Macao the most: beautiful views, great waves (when we get them) and a smooth sandy ocean bottom with no coral to speak of.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
The fitness center Atletico does spinning, zumba, kickboxing etc you might find some like minded people there who know about a tennis scene in PC www.atletico-puntacana.com/servicios.html although after a quick scan on google earth there don't appear to be any tennis courts outside of the hotels.

There is a tennis club at Puntacana Resort & Club and one at Golden Bear Lodge in Cap Cana. However 1) you need a car to get there 2) I don't expect either are cheap Tennis Center . Golden Bear Lodge Cap Cana tennis tel: 809-469-7425 Ext.2047 / 809-424-3924/829-930-1243

For snorkeling (though it's not exactly Cozumel) try Cabeza de Toro. You'll need your own gear. Haggle with one of the fishermen to take you out to the reef for the best snorkeling spots. Map of Cabeza de Toro http://i51.tinypic.com/27xggaw.jpg the fishermen hangout at the Marina (see "red public beach umbrella" icon on map). Or drive down to the area south of Catalonia resorts, right in front of Cat Royal there are fish and to the right there are some shallows.
On Bavaro beach in front of the Barcelo hotels is also a good spot but you'll need a boat to reach it.

It is surprising how little there is to do in PC without a vehicle or wads of money... you could take up golf zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I had good intentions. I lasted almost 4 months and it was blow my brains out or stimulate them by moving, and I had a certain amount of stimulation by an apartment that was falling to bits around me. Still not enough though.
I tell you why there is no electricity cuts there and it is coz the area drains everyones brainwaves and transforms them into electrical waves and powers all electrical appliances, the electricity goes off often but because so much waste mental static is floating about doing nothing, it keeps everything running.

Also the people who do live in harmony there are put there as lab rats for alien experimentation, they come down scoop them up, they vanish for a few days experimenatation and then pop back up again al of a sudden, not missed, looking freaky as hell with swollen lips, new hair lines, occasionally stomach replacements which seem to come in the forms of 6 turtles placed under the skin of the abdomen, some say female specimens have trouble breathing once back in our atmosphere and so are implanted with breathing devices in the chest, just above the chest plate, one tank per lung. Fascinating to observe.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Also the people who do live in harmony there are put there as lab rats for alien experimentation, they come down scoop them up, they vanish for a few days experimenatation and then pop back up again al of a sudden, not missed, looking freaky as hell with swollen lips, new hair lines, occasionally stomach replacements which seem to come in the forms of 6 turtles placed under the skin of the abdomen, some say female specimens have trouble breathing once back in our atmosphere and so are implanted with breathing devices in the chest, just above the chest plate, one tank per lung. Fascinating to observe.[/QUOTE]

Interseting...haha have u been watching the 4th kind by any chance??

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Also the people who do live in harmony there are put there as lab rats for alien experimentation, they come down scoop them up, they vanish for a few days experimenatation and then pop back up again al of a sudden, not missed, looking freaky as hell with swollen lips, new hair lines, occasionally stomach replacements which seem to come in the forms of 6 turtles placed under the skin of the abdomen, some say female specimens have trouble breathing once back in our atmosphere and so are implanted with breathing devices in the chest, just above the chest plate, one tank per lung. Fascinating to observe.

Interseting...haha have u been watching the 4th kind by any chance??[/QUOTE]

haha, no but I have heard of it called 'cosmetic enhancement'?? Sounds like a posh word for Alien abduction to me!:bunny:

Aug 19, 2004
Cannot think of anything but it would be nice to think there is!

You could try posting the same question on the Forums of TripAdvisor - there are people there who appear to spend the entire day answering questions about Punta Cana.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Many people sit in a nice spot and shell beans; other than that people have nice hobbies such as growing ornamental cabbages or making honey mead.
Oct-13-008-475x707.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Yanandu

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Many people sit in a nice spot and shell beans; other than that people have nice hobbies such as growing ornamental cabbages or making honey mead.
Oct-13-008-475x707.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Yanandu
Exactly, that's why you want to live on the beach.

It's true, there is very little "normal'" entertainment and things to do in Bavaro Punta Cana, execpt for the beautiful beach.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
execpt for the beautiful beach.

And to be honest, that isn't all that special. The waters East of the Capital have better colour, and there are loads of less crowded, and more beautiful beaches, anywhere and everywhere. The majority of the area lives off its own hype.
Once people take a few minutes to step back and look at it for what it is, opinions of the place can change quite dramatically.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yes, Kite making and flying is also a great activity.
At the moment I don't think there is a kite festival in PC - but in the future......

110318_101328.jpg

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Hmmm Honey mead

Oct-13-008-475x707.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Yanandu

Is honey mead alcholic?? how do u make it?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Is honey mead alcholic?? how do u make it?

There are many instructions on the internet how to make it . Ginger beer also cheaper to make, sugar cheaper than honey.
Strength is like wine if made properly.
But honey mead exciting addition to drinks cabinet!
Yanandu