Worth renting a car in Punta Cana?

Liguidsoul

Oct 3, 2008
I have been to Punta Cana many times, but I've always used taxis. Considering a taxi ride from the airport is $35 each way, and I end up spending several hundred dollars on taxis throughout the week, I considered checking into car rentals.

Amazingly, I can rent a car for about $25 per day, plus $9 per day for insurance (so that I'm not liable for damage to the vehicle).

I do not mind the crazy driving... but is it worth renting a car and driving myself around in Punta Cana? Are the streets easy to learn? I'm worried about getting lost. What is the best way of navigating? Is there a recommended map to buy?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'll be surprised if your insurance is worth anything if is not almost the same price as the car rental. Be careful.

Liguidsoul

Oct 3, 2008
It's not liability insurance. Only protects my own car for up to $35,000 in damage. Nothing else. It's from Access America. $9 per day.

I've used them before, and even had to make a claim. They are legit. But do you think that type of coverage is sufficient or do I need liability?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you get lost here you need to give up driving. It is one big circle. Basically only two ways you need to go to get where you want.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It's not liability insurance. Only protects my own car for up to $35,000 in damage. Nothing else. It's from Access America. $9 per day.

I've used them before, and even had to make a claim. They are legit. But do you think that type of coverage is sufficient or do I need liability?

I would always advice getting the best insurance they can offer. My dad paid $27US per day about 4 months ago and the insurance was $23US.