Film TV employment in SD

Rufo

Apr 4, 2011
Hello,

I am considering the possibility of moving to DR in the summer and was wondering if any of you guys (and gals) knew anything about finding a job in TV / Film production in Santo Domingo. I currently do freelance directing and editing for the Advertising industry in San Juan, Puerto Rico and work as an Art Director for a boutique style Ad agency. I have a MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) from NYU and have worked in TV and Film in NY, Arizona, California and Mexico.

I'm looking to move on because all the production work in Puerto Rico is being taken to South America.

If anybody know of anything, please let me know.

Cheers!!!

Feb 7, 2007
Once you get here, bring in your portfolio. I could put you in touch with some agencies in the DR. I work in media industry and know some people, and know people who know people. Also there are lots of freelancer opportunities. if you work hard and full time, you could earn US$3.000 per month working as a freelancer doing jobs for SD firms. I know this is possible because I know a person in Higuey (which is interior) who does this as a part time job and racks in US$1.500 per month. ... But you have to be GOOD. Know editing, special effects (final cut, after effects, premier pro, 3d studio, video copilot, etc.) You can also do freelancer editing/effects jobs for US, there are several "bidding/outsourcing" sites like poptent.net, filmaka.com, etc.

Feb 7, 2007
Anyway I think the best move for you to be to try Colombia. Colombia is BIG in TV productions and content production in general. It also has big motion picture industry. The biggest content producers are RTI which produces majority of Telemundo feature programming, then Caracol, RCN, and Fox Telecolombia. Apart of these big producers there are countless small production houses, design studios and of course a number of advertising agencies. For ample job opportunities, Colombia would be 10x better for you than the DR.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Anyway I think the best move for you to be to try Colombia. Colombia is BIG in TV productions and content production in general. It also has big motion picture industry. The biggest content producers are RTI which produces majority of Telemundo feature programming, then Caracol, RCN, and Fox Telecolombia. Apart of these big producers there are countless small production houses, design studios and of course a number of advertising agencies. For ample job opportunities, Colombia would be 10x better for you than the DR.

You could also try UK agencies - friend used to do freelance work for the History Channel and the BBC working in various countries in the World but based in Jamaica - very good flight connections from DR and Jamaica to UK for meetings etc.
These organisations and others always have major well funded location work going on.
TV Freelancers: work hunt links
Positioned in the Americas may be good.
Yanandu

Rufo

Apr 4, 2011

Thanks so much Rubio. I have considered other Latin American countries, however, DR is my choice because my family is originally from there and I can work legally without having to go through too much government bureaucracy.

Rufo

Apr 4, 2011
Once you get here, bring in your portfolio. I could put you in touch with some agencies in the DR. I work in media industry and know some people, and know people who know people. Also there are lots of freelancer opportunities. if you work hard and full time, you could earn US$3.000 per month working as a freelancer doing jobs for SD firms. I know this is possible because I know a person in Higuey (which is interior) who does this as a part time job and racks in US$1.500 per month. ... But you have to be GOOD. Know editing, special effects (final cut, after effects, premier pro, 3d studio, video copilot, etc.) You can also do freelancer editing/effects jobs for US, there are several "bidding/outsourcing" sites like poptent.net, filmaka.com, etc.

This is actually GREAT advise... I am currently working on my online portfolio. I will post the link here when I'm done with it... Thanks sooo much.

Rufo...