Dominican journalism is funny at times

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the lead story in today's Diario Libre, the newspaper writer made a funny and somewhat Freudian slip of the fingers. Hey, we all do it.

Our fingers get so used to doing the same things we mess up occasionally.

This one was funny..

The story is about the renewal of the school breakfast programs, much, much maligned in all the media. It caused the removal of Melanio Paredes the former minister and the appointment of Josefina Pimentel, the new ministress...

Well, the paper is abbreviating the Ministerio de Educaci?n as "MINERD", and the second time the reporter got to the abbreviation, he missed the "N",,,,and it came out "MIERD", which to any Spanish-friendly eye will immediatly become MIERDA, or sh!t (Oh yes!).

Considering all the scandals that the ministry has been through these past two years or so, I just thought this was funny as all get out. Do you?

I mean the hundreds of kids that got sick from eating the crap that they were feeding them is no joke but such a mistake has to be Freudian at some level...

The joys of bi-lingualism...

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes HB that's the way the education ministry should be called in DR "MIERDA".

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i think it is less "what" and more "how" the food is served. i remember that after one of those "poisonings" it was decided that kids should only be given bread for breakfast (no milk). there was a picture with an article presenting teachers handling breads to kids, with bare hands, of course. now i know you will all say that dominicans are so clean, blah, blah, but i saw the state of some schools and more to the point, their bathrooms. and really, there is no way that all teachers, in all schools can wash their hands after using bathrooms. i am sure that some of those little panes had additional ingredients on them...

i have a hidden love for dominican media. newspapers are really funny, especially when they run sad stories about death and accidents. they are so full of pathos i cannot but giggle when i read that. yes, i have no heart.

still, nothing better than el gobierno de la manana. sadly i do not understand many things (too many references to politics/economy/history of DR) but i do enjoy how locutores swear at politicians :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'd think it was funny if it weren't for the consistent errors in the newspapers that often confuse me. :disappoin

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
In the lead story in today's Diario Libre, the newspaper writer made a funny and somewhat Freudian slip of the fingers. Hey, we all do it.

Our fingers get so used to doing the same things we mess up occasionally.

This one was funny..

The story is about the renewal of the school breakfast programs, much, much maligned in all the media. It caused the removal of Melanio Paredes the former minister and the appointment of Josefina Pimentel, the new ministress...

Well, the paper is abbreviating the Ministerio de Educaci?n as "MINERD", and the second time the reporter got to the abbreviation, he missed the "N",,,,and it came out "MIERD", which to any Spanish-friendly eye will immediatly become MIERDA, or sh!t (Oh yes!).

Considering all the scandals that the ministry has been through these past two years or so, I just thought this was funny as all get out. Do you?

I mean the hundreds of kids that got sick from eating the crap that they were feeding them is no joke but such a mistake has to be Freudian at some level...

The joys of bi-lingualism...

HB

Yeah HB, funny as sh*t!!

YM