Cheapest way to call from cellphone to cellphone?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I'm in Puerto Rico, and I need to regularly call a cellphone in DR.

What's the cheapest way?

Thanks.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
If you both have "smartphones" such as Iphone, blackberry, HTC and think maybe samsung, you can install a skype app.

BR

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
A Dominicana in Miami told me that Metro PCS has an unlimited International add on for $10 a month. Mentioned it needed to be a Blackberry plan and was close to $70 a month with tax included.

Blackrainbow has good ideas there also. If PR has Metro PCS give them a call. Weigh the differences. At $70 calling cards will give you about 720 minutes calling a DR cell phone.

Feb 7, 2007
Skype can be installed on Nokias, it cannot be installed on BB's, there is a paid app IM+talk, which will allow you to simulate skype and talk.

For Iphones, Nokias and BB's there are paid-for VOIP applications if your phone has support for SIP stack, and obviously, if the phone is connecting on a 3G data network.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Skype can be installed on Nokias, it cannot be installed on BB's, there is a paid app IM+talk, which will allow you to simulate skype and talk.

For Iphones, Nokias and BB's there are paid-for VOIP applications if your phone has support for SIP stack, and obviously, if the phone is connecting on a 3G data network.
I installed Skype on my iPhone and use it with wifi. Skype have great options "calling world wide, cel or landline for a small monthly fee. It cost me a few $$$/month and I can call anywhere in the US or Canada and talk all I want from anywhere in the world.
Skype v3.0.0.256 - Windows Mobile Download Center

Unlimited calls to landlines - any time, day or night.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112627-google-voice-skype-smartphones-2.html

I see you already got the iphone/Skype help last month. So may i suggest buy a $2 calling card every other day and talk to her for the 20 minutes. $30 a month until you can get her an Iphone or Nokia, data plan. Looks like its gonna take money to save some money for you. Good luck.

I did receive iphone/Skype help last month. Thanks for mentioning it.

I've been purchasing calling cards for quite some time now. I am just looking at other alternatives for calls between cellphones, hence the new thread.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I use a prepaid voip calling service, Rebtel...to call from Canada to DR and they let you enter up to 3 numbers you call from, I can call from my cell, home phone and business phone and it costs the same no matter where I call from. For more info check out rebtel.com

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for all the posts.

Well, I tried rebtel this past month and I ended up not using them anymore.

The biggest reason was that the call quality was not good at all. It became increasingly hard to hear what the other person had to say. Plus, I could hear the echo of the phone ringing even after she picked it up. The call was also constantly being dropped.

The other negative is that the calls I made were 9.9 cents a minute. If she called, the cost/min is significantly lower, but it would use up her minutes.

At least for the moment, I went back to my calling card at 8.2 cents/min.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
iPhone

With the iphone you can install a free program called Viber which gives you completely free phone calls/messages between iphones anywhere on the planet. Only condition the handsets must be connected to a wifi network or a 3G service such as we have here in Santiago with Orange.l