Ugh! Spirit tweaks its baggage fees again.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Can you imagine somebody who goes to the airport not knowing about the carry on bag fee and being asked to fork over $40 at the check in counter for it?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Airline Fees

What else is new. The airline have become the biggest wh-res out there. They have created a monster by forcing people to bring carry on luggage. This is also being abused by people who bring a carry on to the gate, knowing it is too big and then the airline must check it in and they avoid the extra cost while the rest of us pay for extra. I have seen this stunt a number of times and to those people I say, shame on you because the rest of us are paying your way.

S

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What else is new. The airline have become the biggest wh-res out there. They have created a monster by forcing people to bring carry on luggage. This is also being abused by people who bring a carry on to the gate, knowing it is too big and then the airline must check it in and they avoid the extra cost while the rest of us pay for extra. I have seen this stunt a number of times and to those people I say, shame on you because the rest of us are paying your way.

S

I'm sure that some people plan it that way, but the last flight we took from JFK to SDQ on AA my husband and I had identical carry-ons. As we lined up to board they pulled him aside and said his carry-on had to go in the belly. I turned and asked the guy why, since it wasn't oversized and mine was the same. He blinked a time or two, then said there wasn't enough room in the overhead. Mind you, we were the 3rd people in line to board, so all the bins were empty. We didn't argue, the bag went off and we picked it up in SD. Odd, no?
Even odder, on the way back, after we'd passed the boarding check-in and went through the doorway to board, he was pulled aside by an officer in SD and directed to a table with the carry-on. Not his, mine - he left his in DR - but he was rolling mine. I started to follow and they stopped me and pointed me to board. I told them it was MY bag, and they sternly directed me to get on the plane. About 15 minutes later he appeared on the plane - they had totally emptied the bag and examined each and every thing in it. Asked some questions about my medications, and he told them to go ask me.
I think he gets profiled - he's Dominican but could easily pass as Middle Eastern. Running joke in our family that isn't always funny. :ermm:

AE

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

S

Spirit charges $45 for those bags at the gate. I have a receipt.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Can you imagine somebody who goes to the airport not knowing about the carry on bag fee and being asked to fork over $40 at the check in counter for it?

Yes, see it quite a bit. The other one is the 2 bag limit/person periods. On one trip I felt so bad for an elderly couple with extra bags that I took them on (inspected the bags first).

Spirit is wearing thin on me, even free. Last few trips were on Jet Blue.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Yes, see it quite a bit. The other one is the 2 bag limit/person periods. On one trip I felt so bad for an elderly couple with extra bags that I took them on (inspected the bags first).

Spirit is wearing thin on me, even free. Last few trips were on Jet Blue.

Next month JetBlue will start TPA-SJU (AA just pulled out of that route ) making JetBlue a viable option for me going to SDQ (with an easy connection in San Juan) As it stands now, their fares for this route are about on par with AA going TPA-MIA-SDQ

And Spirit WILL charge you to check the bag if it doesn't fit in the overhead. If you paid for the carry-on bag beforehand, you will pay the difference between what you paid for the carry-on bag and the 1st checked bag fee, which is now $43 for international flights when purchased at the airport.

On the plus side, with the carry-on bag fee, the plane boards and deplanes at lightning speed as few people bring bags for the overhead bin now. The plane leaves with the overhead bins almost completely empty. (The flight attendants will not let you put ANYTHING in the overhead bin unless you paid to bring a carry on. )

Eric Manchester

Apr 12, 2011
Did anyone notice that the checked baggage weight limit went down from 50# to 40#? 41-50# is now +$25 overweight fee!! I'm officially done with Spirit, unless an emergency arises and they are my only/best option.

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel

Yes. They've been doing that since February.

So your 50lb bag on Spirit will be $33 if purchased more than 24 hours in advance (less if you are in their $9 fare club) and then $25 for an "overweight" baggage fee so that makes $58 each way

With AA that bag is free
Jetblue too.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Spirit

The Dominicans have a saying:

"Lo barato sale carro"

This is appropriate when dealing with Spirit. Why bother ??

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Making people pay more for baggage that is not pre purchased early enough is just a way to screw people who are unaware of their baggage fees, or who realize when packing at the last minute that they need to check a bag after all.

I can't wait for Jet Blue to start TPA-SJU-SDQ next month. Nice spacious seats, movies are free on flights leaving the continental US, and a pretty good revamped and more fair frequent flier program. And I would prefer connecting in San Juan over Miami any day, especially on the return.

Spirit gets more obnoxious by the day (yet, it is profitable). And AA is also generally a lousy experience to the DR (have you seen the state of those 757's.? Good solid aircraft but they need a total refurbishment inside and out. We call them SlAAve ships in the business. And boarding them in Miami takes forever. The 767 is a better experience but that is only 1 of the 4 MIA-SDQ flights (the one that is heavy on cargo) The AAdvantage program, the BEST FF program IMO (I earn far more miles on the ground than in the air) is the only thing that makes me continue to fly them.