Big screen TVs

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Some crazy deals in the US on big screen TVs at Walmart e.g. new 55" plazma for $400. If I show up at the airport with one of these babies and my $400 receipt do I pay customs duty on that value or am I kicked into some hypervalue electronics world where the aduana nazis value it at $6,000 and they want my gold teeth?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you show up at the airport with a 55'' tv with the intention to transport it as checked baggage, forget it. It is oversized, fragile and high value, they won't touch it. The agents will direct you to the airline air cargo office.

The amount of money you would pay for freight, insurance, and customs would be obscene.

Rethink your options. Maybe someone can provide a price for a unit bought within the country and you can crunch some numbers to find out if it is worthwhile to import.

Also, should you import, the aduana nazies will value it on whatever they desire with an additional fee because it is electronic (energy consumer) and if you are not of Dominican heritage there is a surcharge.

Regards,
PJT

Jan 5, 2006
Your best bet is to buy it in the US and ship it with a door to door shipper of your choice. That way you know the total cost, including customs, upfront. You'll also know that you're buying a new item, and not a refurbished item, being passed off as new.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Your best bet is to buy it in the US and ship it with a door to door shipper of your choice. That way you know the total cost, including customs, upfront. You'll also know that you're buying a new item, and not a refurbished item, being passed off as new.

This is your best solution for all the reasons mentioned.