220 Volts

Jerbust

Oct 12, 2010
Can anyone answer if a European 220v 50/60hz appliance i.e. 220v 1 phase & neutral will work without causing damage on the 220v 2 phase system that is available here in DR. If not is there a way to convert the 220v 2 phase system to a 220v 1 phase & neutral system.

Thanks

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have several European appliances and they all work fine nor do they cause problems to any locally bought appliance. Mind you anything controlled by an electric clock will not work properly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Problems with digital clocks.

I have several European appliances and they all work fine nor do they cause problems to any locally bought appliance. Mind you anything controlled by an electric clock will not work properly.

Do you mean if they are powered by an inverter system when the electric clock does not perform properly or even when there is street power?

It is true that almost all the inverter systems here are output something other than a sine wave (a modified sine wave is actually a square wave, for example) which plays havoc with digital clocks.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My 220v comes direct from Luz y Fuerza. My understanding is that the clocks won't work because of the difference in the number of cycles per second. I can't remember, off hand, which is which of the 50 or 60 cycles per second except that here the US standard is used whereas in Europe the other one is used.

Sorry, should have said Hz not cycles per second, a reflection of my age!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My 220v comes direct from Luz y Fuerza. My understanding is that the clocks won't work because of the difference in the number of cycles per second. I can't remember, off hand, which is which of the 50 or 60 cycles per second except that here the US standard is used whereas in Europe the other one is used.

Sorry, should have said Hz not cycles per second, a reflection of my age!!

That makes sense since we have 60 Hz here (and in the US) and there is 50 Hz in Europe as well as most of the world which is used as the time base for clocks.

As I mentioned I have also found that many digital clocks also won't work when powered using an inverter.

There is no problem using Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second (cps) since they are interchangeable terms.