Would it be the same in the DR?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
10 things to learn from Japan ? SKYNEWS reported this few days back.

1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture. Their patience is admirable and praiseworthy.

3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn?t fall.

4. THE GRACE (Selflessness)
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage. Most of all ? NO POLITICIANS TRYING TO GET CHEAP MILEAGE. (Indian politicos are you listening?)

10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly.

With their country in the midst of a colossal disaster - The Japanese citizens can teach plenty of lessons to the world.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It would not be the same. Not even similar. The culture in Japan is very different than it is in the DR.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The title of the thread should be: "10 Things that will never happen in the D.R."

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I was comparing photos of Haiti with photos of Japan and was truly amazed at the differences. There did not appear to be any panic, violence or mass hysteria.

One of the issue of course is the difference in education and preparedness.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont think there was mass panic in Haiti until the government became more inept at addressing any issue toward rescue, salvation and assistance.

Im not sure the scene in Japan is much better. We are not hearing unbiased reports about the tsunami, body recovery or the power plant issue. There is a lot of shining going on in many Japanese public sector ministries.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Looting would happen in the US

I think that looting would happen in many places in the US. I'd be in there trying to get some food myself. (I'd later share with family and friends, without charge:) And I'd pass on the big screen TV's, that's just wrong.

Oops, guess that's not Dominican related.