Short term health insurance

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Beginning next year for the month of January and most likely for January and February I would like to spend the time in Santiago to get away from the winter months here in New York. My question is can one obtain health insurance in the Domincan Republic for short terms such as this? Thank you to all in advance.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I pay for 3 months at a time.It is 2,500 pesos for 3 months.
I was recently in the "ER".Had a chest x-ray,blood tests,and an Eccocardiogram, "IVs",and "Pills",total cost to me????$00000000000
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I am actually seeking extensive full coverage while there. I know that it is a little premature at this point seeking the insurance, but I always like to plan far in advance. Could anybody provide a link or links to healthcare providers in DR, preferable in the Santiago area. Also, Criss Colon, did you purchase your insurance directly in the country or online? Thanks again for any and all responses.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Most insurance companies here have a period before you can claim. I don't know of any that will insure you for such a short period.

CC pay's 3 months at a time, but I'm guessing they allow him to split his payments 4 x 3 months (12 months).

I would go with Cobraboy's suggestion.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Thanks Robert, and thanks Cobraboy!! I looked at the plans. They look very inexpensive and extensive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two best companies are universal and humano. you have to wait a while after you sign up for the plan to take effect.
i normally suggest travel insurance for those who do not stay here for long periods of time but if you insist you can get any plan form dominican ARS and keep on paying for all months of the year despite potential use of only one/two months.
downside if travel insurance is a danger that it will not cover a procedure/medicine/treatment/clinic you will be taken/subjected to. and some travel insurances will require you to fork out the money first before you can claim it back.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have searched quite a bit, and have not found a definitave answer to this question, so I am hoping someone can help. How long is the exclusion period for a new customer with Humano and/or Universal before they will begin to pay claims? I want to purchase a travel policy to cover me in the interum, and need to know how long to purchase it for. thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the north coast you can contact Bike Dozet at Canela & Associados. Tel 809-571-4646 for questions on waiting periods and costs.

Nov 10, 2010
what company are you with, im looking for top grade insurance. That means if im in an accident and need 20000us$ of work done i'll be covered, along with my medications etc etc
thanks