Cost of Living in the Dominican Republic 2011

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Life in Santo Domingo 2011: Cost of Living in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Please read my blog on cost of living in the Dominican Republic. Thanks.

I have no problem people posting links to their personal sites or blogs, as long as they have ZERO advertising on them.
Right now your blog is fine, but I'm guessing you might need to add some banners to pay the US$98.60 gas bill :)

Yep, it's not a cheap country, especially if you want to live a reasonable lifestyle.

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
Hello Robert, thank you for your reply, and thank you for allowing me to post my blog site on here. You have my word that I will not advertise anything on here. I have been living in Santo Domingo for a couple years now, and I felt that I could help others that are planning on living here too. Lol yeah I may have to add some banners, especially since I'm a student.
Take care Robert!

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
5-3-2-1.....Yanundu is coming ! :)

You can save money by eating yucca, platano and salami.. :) McDonalds ? That's for rich folks only.. :)

As for the gas, having a solar powered car would be suitable and thus avoid the 100 gas bill..

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
As for eating yucca, platano, and salami, absolutely ElivisNYC, you can save a lot of money by doing this. As for the solar powered car, I'm going to take that one as a joke. Besides if they did sell solar powered cars in Santo Domingo, the government would probably add a 60% special import tax on the solar powered vehicle, so that only rich dominicans could buy the car, which would be pointless because these are the same people that are completely unaffected by the rising gas prices.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You can save money by eating yucca, platano and salami.. :) McDonalds ? That's for rich folks only.. :)

As for the gas, having a solar powered car would be suitable and thus avoid the 100 gas bill..

I would go even further and raise pigs in your backyard and make your own salami. Yucca and Platano are also easy to grow if you buy enough land.

Who needs a car?? You can walk or use a bike on some days. :)

I am assuming Yanandu is cultivating his plot of land or fishing today :cheeky:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Hola, it was a joke, because the poster yanundu claims to live in DR for under 2 dollars a day. your 100 gas money is 2 months living expenses..He owns a solar powered rice cooker.. jeje

Btw, great blog, you should add more stuff in your blog about the cost of living - I bookmarked your page, look forward to reading more.

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
Wow thanks for some realistic thoughts about day to day living for the average person in Dominican Republic!!!!!! Raising pigs in backyards and growing yucca and platano on our own land! Obviously you've never been to the capital, because if you have you would realize that most dominicans have to live in Apartment buildings because the city is so overcrowded that there is hardly any residencial properties.

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
Thank you ElvisNYC!!! I really appreciate it!! I will continue to write more about various topics, also please feel free to suggest any topics or ideas that you would like to read about. Since I'm currently residing on the island I have the liberty of researching various locations or certain topics currently going on here in the country.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I would go even further and raise pigs in your backyard and make your own salami. Yucca and Platano are also easy to grow if you buy enough land.

Who needs a car?? You can walk or use a bike on some days. :)

I am assuming Yanandu is cultivating his plot of land or fishing today :cheeky:

LOL !! I can't stop laughing :D

You're absolutely right, it's better to have the pig and raise yucca and platano instead of buying them.

What was I thinking !!! That should make it 1.65 a day.. :D

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Wow thanks for some realistic thoughts about day to day living for the average person in Dominican Republic!!!!!! Raising pigs in backyards and growing yucca and platano on our own land! Obviously you've never been to the capital, because if you have you would realize that most dominicans have to live in Apartment buildings because the city is so overcrowded that there is hardly any residencial properties.

As ElvisNYC stated it is a joke about the poster Yanandu.

And no, I haven't been to the capital besides the airport, but I traveled enough to know that in most capitals people don't farm and raise animals.

Don't worry, you will know what we meant in a few ;)

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
Haha oh ok, forgive me I am new to the forum so I'm not up to date on all the discussions. What is Yanandu???

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

AND WASH IT ALL DOWN WITH YOUR HOME MADE GINGER BEER OR ROOT BEER, kept cold by the ice in your cold box. LOL

InvictusMD

Apr 9, 2011
Hlywud
I'm not advertising, just simply discussing life in Santo Domingo. This is the second time on the same thread that I have been notified, and that's after I already stated I wasn't advertising.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL !! I can't stop laughing :D

You're absolutely right, it's better to have the pig and raise yucca and platano instead of buying them.

What was I thinking !!! That should make it 1.65 a day.. :D

Yeah, well, be careful the pig doesn't get loose and eat the yucca and platanos....

AE

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah, well, be careful the pig doesn't get loose and eat the yucca and platanos....

AE

Hahaha...love this visual. You've spent months raising that pig, yucca and platanos then one day the pig gets loose, eats your yucca and platanos and gets run over by a Dominican who promptly proceeds to put the pig on the back of his pick up truck 'cause u know can't let it go to waste...lol