Internet access

hotdogs

Apr 12, 2011
To be more specific.
How accessible are computers and internet to natives of POP?
Do most have it in the home or regularly go to cafes and pay for access?
Is it something they would have on their cell phones as in North America?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All depends on your social status. Plenty of people have internet access at home and a growing number on their phones.
Lots of stores that sell PC's, phones etc.

Internet cafes are dying here as more and more people get personal access either at home or via their phone.

BB is huge here, so is Facebook etc.

hotdogs

Apr 12, 2011
Ok. That's what I thought. For most people access would be fairly irregular compared to North America.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ok. That's what I thought. For most people access would be fairly irregular compared to North America.

You would need to break it down by demographics. Define most people?

What is the background to the question, then maybe we can give you a more accurate answer.

hotdogs

Apr 12, 2011
By most people I mean, native to DR and working to make ends meet. Living at home, helping to support their families.
I was recently there and just noticed that people aren't "on" their BB the way we are here and internet access was hard to find. Or at least a consistent connection. So I was wondering what communication would be like as I made some new acquaintances.
Especially when people work 15 hr days, would be difficult to go out to a cafe or something if it's not already in the home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was recently there and just noticed that people aren't "on" their BB the way we are here
Funny that. Where I live people's necks are beginning to develop a permanent downward curve they're so addicted to the bloody things.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I was recently there and just noticed that people aren't "on" their BB the way we are here and internet access was hard to find. Or at least a consistent connection.

Which remote location did you stay? I think SD is the city with most BB per capita...They are furious over that stuff.....

Feb 7, 2007
@hotdogs: It's just natural resort employees in a "plain view" will not be using their BBs and other smartphones in visible places for all guests to see them. But other posters are right, SD and ST are BB-crazy, you go to bars in SD and even the bartenders/esses (usually the -esses) are BBing underneath the bar table. BB is the most desired phone in the DR.

Example: on Monday I got a call from a friend of mine (pretty intelligent but not most tech-savvy) and he asked me about a cost of BB phones on ebay. Didn't have a clue about EDGE, 3G, etc. and he was quite surprised when I told him he actually needed a data plan with a BB (costing US$35 per month) to make use of it...otherwise it's just a pretty uncomfortable and bulky phone. At the end he said... even to use it for making and receiving calls, he wanted a BB... enough said.

hotdogs

Apr 12, 2011
That makes sense.
I used one of my friends BB while there and it was the worst thing ever....lol
I never asked but suspect there might not have been a data plan because he asked to use mine to check FB.
This was in POP.