living in DR working in USA

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I have a current job in the USA in wich I travel throught the US. I am exploring living in the DR while I continue to work, there by traveling to and from every 2 weeks. Does anyone do this? If so can you tell me some of the logistics, helpful hints, pitfalls.

thanks for your time and effort.
jan

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have a current job in the USA in wich I travel throught the US. I am exploring living in the DR while I continue to work, there by traveling to and from every 2 weeks. Does anyone do this? If so can you tell me some of the logistics, helpful hints, pitfalls.

thanks for your time and effort.
jan

Skiing used to do this.

PM her.

Apr 13, 2011
I travel primarily the US for work and my obstacles have been the costs of flights and the times of flights/connections.
If you have the time, travel to Florida - and then do your US flight from there - but many times the connections to your next flight might not be on the best time schedule for you.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I will hopefully be doing this in the near future...I'm planning on giving it a trial run maybe during the summer. If I can make it work out where I can get down there on Thursday night and fly out Monday Morning I would be a happy man.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I live in Bavaro but my employer is in Washington, DC. I travel up to DC every 8-12 weeks for a 2-3 week period. I travel through Miami on American Airlines. My layovers in Miami are typically in the 3-4 hour range. I don't mind so much as I just park my butt at one of the bars, have a few beers and do some work on my computer (I'm a software engineer). During high season United has non-stop flights from Punta Cana to DC but I stick with American because I've got all my frequent flier miles with them. (I've flown over 1.5 million miles on American). I agree with MJSantoDomingo that using Florida as a hub would probably suit you well.

I see no pitfalls. You're a road warrior so you are used to the airport hassles. The only difference is that you'll also have to deal with immigration/customs. I've been doing this for almost 6 years and I'm not sick of it yet.

Have you spent much time in the DR? Living in a developing country requires a little getting used to. I would test the waters first if I were you.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I did this for almost 2 years and will be doing it again when I return to Santiago next year. I traveled more frequently than most but will not travel ad often next go around. I traveled every 8 days. You just have to find a flight that fits your schedule, for example here wad what I did. I am a RN and work 12 hr shifts, 7a-7p
Thursday am 0230, Jet Blue flight to JFK, arrive JFK 0530
Cab to hospital, 0700 work
Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues- work
Tues pm off at 1930, cab to JFK, Jet Blue flight at 2330
Santiago HOME at 0330!!!!!
It can be done!

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Be prepared to be THOROUGHLY searched until they start to recognize you, they thought I was smuggling drugs for a while (you know, sexy lady...no luggage) Pay for extra passport pages, you will fill them quick. Try to take the same flights all the time, I know my whole crew....got a bunch of free Jet Blue crap, and never had to share a seat (except in August)

SHALENA

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I always have a backup plan in case things get screwed up. That way the agents will remember you as someone who doesn't complain but just presses on with plan "B". Also be prepared to cough up 82 dollars and change in departure taxes every time you leave the country. No way to get around it.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
thanks everyone - it looks like a very doable way to have both worlds ! Jet Blue seems to be the way to go - has anyone used Spirit???

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Enjoyable Travel

I travel back and forth (pop-ewr) every month.
I only travel Continental.
25,000 travel miles (per year) will get you Silver Elite with many benefits including possible upgrades to 1st class. I almost always travel 1st class (from an upgrade).
I travel without luggage.
I have Global Entry (very easy to get....application is on-line) and do not fill out US custom forms nor go through immigration upon arrival in the states.
Both in the DR and US I am out of the airport within 10 minutes after I land.
I enjoy the flights very much.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
25,000 travel miles (per year) will get you Silver Elite with many benefits including possible upgrades to 1st class. I almost always travel 1st class (from an upgrade).
I have Global Entry (very easy to get....application is on-line) and do not fill out US custom forms nor go through immigration upon arrival in the states.
Wow, I have to see if Jet Blue has that

SHALENA

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

Do you have to pay for your upgrades or do they give you a seat up front if there is space? I'm Advantage Gold for life with American (once you hit 1,000,000 miles they give you status for life) which gives me priority access so I can always check in at the first class counter and take the short line through security but they still make me pay for upgrades to first class.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The upgrade is free.

That's nice. American's frequent flyer benefits suck compared to most other airlines. I've been trying to fly my parents down for a visit using miles but there's never any available flights. I swear they must reserve 2 seats per flight at most.