Fleas and ticks

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
What product would you recommend for using on dogs againsts fleas and ticks? Would only like to hear from people that live here in the D.R. and about a product can be purchased here. I have used a couple of different products but have had no luck so I would like to know which one has worked for you. I have a long haired Chow Chow and need something good enough to penetrate through his thick fur.
Many thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live in DR. used many things but all is crap save for the most expensive option: frontline. can be bought in DR but we buy online as comes cheaper (we have two big dogs so we use considerably more). trust me - NOTHING ELSE works. i tried everything.
you put it starting from the neck all the way down to the tail. not on hair, on the skin, so with your doggie you'd have to dig in a bit. mind you, goggie has to be dry and should not get wet for few days so no washing, swimming and no rain.
and it does not last very long so better buy in bulk.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Frontline Plus works for me. It costs about 480 pesos at Servican Pet Center in Naco in Santo Domingo and lasts about a month.

Many Vets sell it.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I don't know if it's the same thing by a different name, but we use Ivermectin and have no problems. we have 4 dogs ranging Shih-tzu to Rottweiler.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
On our little dog we use frontline. On our Rottie we use Ivermectin which he takes orally. No problem with either dog. The Ivermectin is VERY cheap and we buy it in 50cc bottles. The rottie takes 2.5 cc per month.

Bob K

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
long time use of Ivermectin can damage the liver. I stopped injecting my dogs many years ago!
i ordered once a dog shampoo - expecting nothing special from that, but since that time no tics, no fleas and the fur of the dogs look beautiful! Also i have a street dog, which had this skin disease and once in while his skin had break outs or his skin had an ugly smell.....all is gone since use that shampoo. LOL i ordered a box of 12 bottles just to have enough - you never know how long you get a good product here. My long haired German Shepard got such a gorgeous fur since i use that shampoo....
Linea Grisi, Shampoo para perros. Apply shampoo - leave it for 10 min - rinse off done...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most oral deparasitant have ivermectine. apart from liver damage i find it does not really work for my dogs as they go out (i walk them every day) and they joyfully dig in the garden. so unfortunately they are prone to parasite infection :(
i use ivermective occasionally to treat skin parasites but each time i feel sorry for goggies (liver). at least they take injections well. in fact, they love to be injected, they think it's like being petted....