Will Sprint labelled cellular phone work in DR on Claro

james

Jan 14, 2002
Sprint sells replacement phones without service in the US..... for instance the HTC EVO Shift. Does anyone know for sure if that can be used here on claro service. (purchase in US and change my Sim card on Claro phone to the HTC.)
Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you just want a phone to use while here, wait until you get here then buy a cheap phone from Orange or Claro with a Sim card and time card. It will be cheaper for the phone and for the minutes. Here you are only charged for incoming calls and you can call the US for same price as calling locally.

Feb 7, 2007
Sprint uses CDMA system. While Claro also uses CDMA system the activation is more complicated. You ca also activate CDMA phone with Tricom.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Phone will need to be unlocked. After that your Claro sims card will work. The cheap phones that Ken mention i tried and totally hated. You get what you pay for. To unlock your phone in the DR it should run 300RD.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Unless Sprint has changed Ruby is rigth. Had to go to Moca to get my CDMA phone activated but got a Claro chip for my GSM phone and another chip for my Iphone in the Claro shack in Jamao. On another note the Iphone needed to be sent to Moca for unlocking. Total cost was 900RD which included door to door service from the Claro moto driver.

I just looked and it seems Sprint is now hooked up with T-Mobile and your 3/4G will work as lond as it is unlocked with a Claro sims.

Last edited:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Sprint hasnt changed, this runs on a CDMA network here in the states. That being said Sprint still provides UNLOCKED phones for international use that use SIM cards, i.e. some HTC phones, Blackberries [i.e. Tour, Bold] and some other random phones. As long as these phones are unlocked they will ALL work on the SIM networks in DR. I know the island's carriers have slowly started to phase out CDMA phones in favor of SIM but you could save yourself a lot of headache by just buying a phone in DR. Unless you know how to unlock your phones or dont care to pay someone to unlock it for you [and they will try to rip you off believe me], just save yourself the hassle and get a phone on the island. Seriously, what do you need the HTC for? To draw unwanted attention? hmmmm

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have a Htc touch Pro2, Sprint, and it works fine here in DR with Orange Sim Card. I think that Sprints phones work with Sim card when u go to foreign countries. Meaning u do not have to unlock it. ask Sprint how it works now, my phone is one yearl old

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
just save yourself the hassle and get a phone on the island. Seriously, what do you need the HTC for? To draw unwanted attention? hmmmm

What do you plan to do with your phone? Make a few local calls and a few calls to the US? The cheap local phones are not high tech and do no have the latest bells and whistles, but do you really need them when in the DR? The cheap local phones will make the calls you want to make, and, more important, they will not be coveted by all those who see you use it. Theft of high tech phones is a problem here.

I'm sure there will be responses from people who say they used their high tech phone and had no trouble, but people who live here know that there is a risk if you use one in public.

If your vacation won't be spoiled if you don't use the very latest cell phone, then get a phone, a Sim card, and a time card when you get here from Claro or Orange.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Thank you all.
I changed years ago to GSM and found a big improvement so I guess the HTC is out as I want to stay on GSM.
I understand about the "high tech" here but I live here and work 12 to 14 hours a day and have email coming in on 6 addresses. The Blackberry Flip I use just won't stay locked when in the pocket and its alway making calls on its own (embarrasing) and the keyboard is smaller than the HTC. Oh well another one will come along.