travelling to puerto plata by plane with a dog as checked luggage

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
Hi every one i am new here, looking for info. My husband ( dominican ) and I ( canadian ) live in montreal, but we will be moving to moca rd on may 14. I will bring my dog with us and he will travel as checked luggage on air canada. Does anyone have any good experience with air canada pet travel? i am really worried! Also what am I allowed to really send in cargo as part of my husband moving back exemption? Thanks everyone!

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
dogs in cargo

It will be non-stop from Montreal to POP , 4 hours flying and 1-2 hours at each end for checking in and out. When you get on the plane be sure to confirm the dog is on before the plane moves,- the stewards will do that if you ask them. Then relax,- meet your dog in the POP airport, visit the "vet", pay your 325pesos and you are home free. I have traveled Air Canada to Burmuda with my dog,- more expensive than Westjet but no problems. Last year I flew 2 dogs in one crate from Toronto to POP with Westjet. I sweated it but the dogs did just fine!
Remember you have to "book" your pet in advance as they only take so many crates. There is also a heat embargo which I hope is not in effect in May.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Better check on that dog travel.
I tried to fly mine back on WestJet to YYZ end of April - begin of May....... heat embargo began April 1st.

Might be a problem.....:=((

WW

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
hey guys thanks for info. I checked with air canada and may 14 is ok for him to travel as checked baggage but im scared they will lose him! does any one know of good vets in the moca area?

Last edited:

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Melodie,

First off congratulations on the marriage and the move! I was married to a Dominican and we lived in Cabarete (but frequently visited Mao, where his family was). It was a culture shock sometimes, but lean on him for support whenever you need...just wanted to tell you welcome! I think you will love living in RD :)

Please will you let me know how it goes with the dog travel in the end? PM me with the details...we are in the same predicament, traveling with our 5 year old and our 4 month old St. Bernard, hopefully in August of this year. Wish you luck! Remember, this is done all the time so I'm sure you'll be fine. If I get any more info I'll definitely send it along, too :)

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
I brought my cats in cargo on AC. I was told that it is pitch blackl in cargo, so I bought a little pen light and fastened it inside the carrier and switched it on when I checked them. It took forever for them to come through the side door at Puerta Plata (or so it seemed to a panicky owner), but they were fine, if a little ... ummm ... quiet (picture 2 cats plastered to the floor of the carrier). No problem whatsoever getting them through customs at Puerto Plata, they never even looked at the vet certificates, they just wanted the fees paid. Moving is traumatic for cats, but now ... they're not missing the Canadian winters, and my social boy is loving condo life!