Orange prepagado question

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I know that with the Orange prepagado plan, if the number is not used for several months, you lose the number and have to get a new SIM card and number. If I return to the states then return to the DR in a few months would adding credit to the phone while in the states keep the number and SIM card valid until I return, or do you actually have to make and receive calls on the phone to keep it valid?(you can add credit to the phone online from the states) I see on the website that a credit of RD$300 is valid for 60 days. Would keeping the phone recharged with credit keep me from losing the number when I return??

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
My understanding is that if you don't use the phone for 30 days ( it may be 60) you lose the number and unused minutes.

BObK

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
If the phone is inactive for more than 3 months, 90 days, then the sim number will no longer work. The minutes on the phone will be lost if you don't add MORE time onto the phone by the expiry date that appears when you recharge your phone. The more money you recharge your minutes with, the longer the minutes are valid for... 60 days for 300 pesos sounds about right.
I once left the country for just under 90 days (according to the expiry date of my minutes when I last recharged the phone), and when I returned to DR my sim card was still working. So I think it's 90 days from last recharge expiry date, but I'm not 100% certain.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If the phone is inactive for more than 3 months, 90 days, then the sim number will no longer work. The minutes on the phone will be lost if you don't add MORE time onto the phone by the expiry date that appears when you recharge your phone. The more money you recharge your minutes with, the longer the minutes are valid for... 60 days for 300 pesos sounds about right.
I once left the country for just under 90 days (according to the expiry date of my minutes when I last recharged the phone), and when I returned to DR my sim card was still working. So I think it's 90 days from last recharge expiry date, but I'm not 100% certain.

I was in the DR in august and went back the following January and, to my surprise, my number remained the same. I can't tell you about minutes because I had pretty much used them all when I left the first time.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was in the DR in august and went back the following January and, to my surprise, my number remained the same. I can't tell you about minutes because I had pretty much used them all when I left the first time.

Thanks for posting facts, not fiction, I also have gone 4-5 months and still had an activated SIM.
Bottom line, there are no rules in RD, and they are never followed anyway.

What ever happened to CDMA being phased out?

Feb 7, 2007
You have to understand the difference between recharge expiry time and sim expiry. You lose recharge at expiry date based on the recharge value at the time of recharge. Recharge is a transaction. Ame as making or receiving a call or a text message. Doing something before the recharge expiry does not extend the recharge expiry.

SIM card expiry is several months AFTER any activity on the line. At that time you usually do not have any balance. Adding balance IS an activity and adding 60 pesos recharge every month by electronic means would keep your number active practically forever.