Cost of Electricity in the Dominican Republic

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Those built in AC units are killers. And this guy is using it EVERY night! I have two little window ac's for the real heat of summer.. That is, I do not use them except for the four months of heat. I also have a two bedroom apartment in SD and my bill is never more than $2000 .. ususally more like $1200. After you have been here for a few years, your body really does adjust to the heat.. I find it actually cold here in the winter.

I have fans. Fans are good. Use fans.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I pay 3 times that amt.
Glad I stole elec. for 10 years!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Insulation is the answer - I'm not allowed to advertise but it is aluminium based and comes in 2 metre wide rolls. There are also spray on foam products. For my bedroom a/c cylces - on/off very time on little time in one hour. Low energy fans can be used as these don't generate much heat. There is one brand that only burns 15 watts.
Low energy LED light bulbs are economical and don't generate much heat so you don't need aircon to remove the heat. My bedroom has 2 x 3 watt bulbs. Nice pure white light like halogen.
Also thermal curtains - these are widely used in hotels etc. to save energy.
Yanandu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a fairly big house and our monthly rate is about 2500 pesos. constantly on: computers, tv (standby mode), water pump and fridge (i mentioned before i was getting really sick eating the food that was even slightly off due to fridge defrosting). we are fairly frugal with power but not to the point of crazy :) i switch the lights off when we are not in the room but one outside light is on all the time. we use water heater twice a day, bread maker few times a week (bread cycle takes 3 hours), washing machine 2-3 times a week,fan at night, microwave and electric kettle occasionally.
but we have lots of blackouts and inversor uses lots of power to charge...

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Two bed apartment, large living room, kitchen, utility area, in Puerto Plata, inversor but rarely needed, fridge, TV on 18 hours per day (don't ask!), electric kettle boiled 6 times a day, washing machine average 15 cycles per week, two ceiling fans running 18 hours each day except winter (but three fans running 24 hours each day in four hottest months), hot water heater in bathroom average 30 mins per day. Electricity consistently around RD$850 per month (maybe RD$1000 in hottest months?) and I am happy with that.

Wouldn't have A/C if it were free. Nasty American fetish.

Griegos13

Feb 1, 2009
In Bavaro (CEPM) i pay 13,06 pesos/kwh (or 0,35 usd/kwh !!!!) for less than 300kwh monthly,which i believe is one of the higher prices for electricity in the whole world !!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, power in Bavaro IS expensive. But it works! You forget thinking about b/c its always there. I can't imaging living in EdeNorte Country again ;) ... Nothing against the North Coast, I liked it, if there only would be a better working electricity.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Speaking of the north coast, with the latest round of EDE price increases of 8% kicking in this month of June the price per kWh after the first 300 kWH will be about 10.86 $RD per kWH. About $0.29 US per kWh for power that is on part of the time. That price is what you pay for every kWh if you go over 700 kWh in a given month.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In Bavaro (CEPM) i pay 13,06 pesos/kwh (or 0,35 usd/kwh !!!!) for less than 300kwh monthly,which i believe is one of the higher prices for electricity in the whole world !!!
In Las Terrenas, we have a real 24 hours/24 electricity, with Luz&Fuerza, but we also have the world record of the most expensive rate in the whole world :( . We are paying 18.70RD$ for each Kw/h !!!!!!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Btw, is there any other part in the DR, where is 24/7 electricity? I know Bavaro and Las Terrenas. Anywhere else?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Where I live in Puerto Plata - we just got converted to an "A" circuit. We now have 24 / 7 electricity at the regular rates Billed May 1 st it was 4.11 RD per KWH up to 200 KWH then it jumps rates. I am waiting for the next bill - should be here June 6 or 7.

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
We live out in the country north of santiago. Most people have illegal connections but our house is by contracted flat rate of $450 RD per month with no meter. Some houses here have meters and I see where some colmado owners hide some freezers in the back where no ednorte employee can see them. Our house has low voltage to start with so we have a regulator to even out the volts then 4 batteries and inverter. We use as much electricity, when we have power, as we can short of airconditioners because here near the mountains it is nice and cool naturaly. We use 6 fans, electric stove, water heater, fridge/freezer, hair dryer, 4 TV's, 4 computers and all my shop tools including a mig welder. We leave the lights on when we have power which is never 24 hour more like 14-16 hours per day. We wait for ednorte power to use the tools in the shop, wash cloths, iron, hot water and anything that uses a lot of power. Life in the DR love it or leave it :) Our new house which we have just started to build I think we will just hook up the lines and see what happens.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Btw, is there any other part in the DR, where is 24/7 electricity? I know Bavaro and Las Terrenas. Anywhere else?
Our zone in Jarabacoa is supposedly 24/7. That is not the case. We go through periods with blackouts every day.

We had no power from 2am to 6pm yesterday (Wednesday.) Our inverter, for only the second time in 2 years, went dark. But this time I'm sure it was damaged lines and not a planned blackout.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Would it not be a useful information to have a sticky / list with all the 24/7 'Zona A' areas in the D.R. on DR1? And a short info if it is really 24/7 etc.? I am sure lots of people would like to have that information. I think it is important for someone who want to rent / buy / build to know. Sorry, if such already exist, I couldn't find anything like it.

Last edited:

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
With the increasing costs of electricity and the inevitable (for most) blackouts, has anyone tried using wind or solar power to recharge the inversor/batteries?

I was in Bonao last and I think they spend more time without electricity than with (I could be exaggerating, but sure felt that way). I couldn't help but think that a horizontal or verticle axis wind turbine would be a game changer...

PP

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Instead of a sticky anyone can go check this site Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

This site will show you the various areas and which circuit you are in. AND if you are in an A it will show if there is any planned maintenance outages.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Instead of a sticky anyone can go check this site Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

This site will show you the various areas and which circuit you are in. AND if you are in an A it will show if there is any planned maintenance outages.

Can you please explain to me what I have to fill in to see the different zones?
Distribuidora ok thats Edenorte
Provincia ok thats Puerto Plata
But then...Circuito? I have no idea, do not seem to find that on the contract
and Sector/zona de influencia?

Thanks

Acira