How long does it take from being a tourist to be able to work legally, in average?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes you can leave while waiting for your cudula. If you are applying for a job that requires one you should be able to start working as soon as you filed with a copy of your filed application.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just to clarify, you need both residency and a cedula. The residency process is what takes time and probably it was the residency card you meant with your question. Once you have your residency, you can get your cedula, which is the national ID card, and that takes no more than an hour.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I think the issue for the OP is how soon can he go to work. Well that depends on who is hiring you. Some will let you start without filing. Others will let you start once you have filed for residencia and have the file number. Others will not let you start until you have your Cedula card in your hot little hands.

Technically one cannot be registered as an employee on the TSS without the Cedula # itself. AND even then it can take months for that number to get into the system.

Most will let you start with your filing number!

From experience of myself and others a residencia filing thru to getting your actual cedula - anywhere from 4 months to 2 years! Beware of those promising to get it done very quickly. Beware of those who can get it done cheaply. Beware of those who charge too much as well!

Ask for referrals to lawyers who have done the job well for expats! Many here recommend Guzman Ariza - I recommend their office in Santo Domingo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
work: anything from zero days to several months, depending on a company. suprisingly many will employ foreigners without any paperwork. DR is not exactly a law obiding country. but in theory employer should wait unil you have your cedula in hand which now takes few months.

you can leave the country as you pleases, even without any paperwork proving you're in the process of obtaining cedula. you will have to purchase tourist card and pay overstay fine thou.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
It took me 15 months for me to get the temporary residency. But that is due to the problem with the lawyer. Now I had gone to Guzman Ariza and so far it is going very smooth. They communicate properly and i am hopeful that I would get the residency in another four months.
I was told that I can leave the country while the Residency is in process but for me visa is necessary to enter the country again. i was also told that i cannot get the visa here and had to go to the embassy in my country.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You get your Residency and Cedula at the same time and you can start working with the filing papers.

Bob K