Amoebas

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Had a friend visit the Capital from Las Terrenas. She became so sick with amoebas that we rented a car and drove her back home. She says that she has had them for a while.. that they seem to come back every three months... that she has used FLAGYL (arsenic) but they still come back. And that she was going to use the local folk remedy which has pumpkin seeds and garlic.

So I did some research and found that you need to take a course of TWO different medicines in order to really get rid of amoebas

Amoebic dysentery - What treatments work for amoebic dysentery?

then you need to have stool samples taken afterwards to make sure that they are all gone.

Note please that this is not for just a case of travellers tummy. IF you have dysentery, you will know it because death will seem preferable. The first time that I got it in Mexico, I was the most angry at Pepto Bismol for making it all sound so easy. There it is called Montezuma's Revenge.. and I did not really understand how very very angry Montezuma was!

I took the Flagyl for a long course.. about 15 days or so... lost 35 pounds (which, alas, did not stay off... Ladies, this is not an effective diet) and felt like someone was continually punching me in the stomach.

Considering the sanitation here, I am really surprised that there is not more of this.

And, of course, since there is now the possibiltiy of cholera... remote but possible... any severe diarreaha should be taken very seriously ... rehydrate, get lab work done, take the proper medicine. ALWAYS carry the gel hand soap. And if you are new here, do not eat food from the street, unpeeled fruit or salad if the place looks the slightest bit suspicious.

I always check the ladies room before I eat. IF there is no soap there... well.. do not eat there!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have also experienced "Montezuma's revenge" and after 3 days of the worst bowel wrenching imaginable, a fellow traveller from the Canary Islands gave me a handful of charcoal tablets of which I took one every four hours. The next day I was well. Sore, but well.

Jul 4, 2010
Other than your reference to Flagyl being arsenic, I can't find a single reference online.
Flagyl (metronidazole) Information from Drugs.com

Can you find/provide confirmation that Flagyl is arsenic?

Oh... and one of the medicines for amoebas listed in the link you provided on webmd seems to be Flagyl (metronidazole).

Metronidazole is an antibiotic, and it's not good for all cases of intestinal parasites. Like all antibiotic treatments, it requires strict physician supervision and patient compliance. Metronidazole can cause severe allergic reactions and other side effects. Just recently the Minister of Health announced all students (approximately 1.9 million) would be given a one time-one dosis of metronidazole. This is medical insanity.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I have had the amoebas, too, in my 6th month of pregnancy where I was hospitalized (Bournigal) for over a week...I also took Flagyl, and it was wreached stuff....awful!

It's frightening t think that students iwll be given this as a "precautionary measure"...Horrible!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not think it is advicable to take "natural medicine" for amoebas. they are not so easy to get rid of and they may cause many unpleasanties.
in DR there are many meds for it: amoebriz from a lab janssen-cilag (mebendazol+quinfamida), amebex from excellent dominican lab sued (also quinfamida, if iremember correctly), gabbroral from pfizer (aminosidina) and paramox, again, from sued (aminosidina).
a doctor will prescribe correct medicine after seeing results of test. all above is available in pharmacies over the counter. prices vary.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
That is why I wrote "also"; as to use both natural and the medecine prescribed.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
It may be common knowledge, but amoebas I found out are not your regular tropical "stomach parasite". Amoebas travel beyond the stomach and infest other parts of the body. Serious stuff.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Other than your reference to Flagyl being arsenic, I can't find a single reference online.
Flagyl (metronidazole) Information from Drugs.com

Can you find/provide confirmation that Flagyl is arsenic?

Oh... and one of the medicines for amoebas listed in the link you provided on webmd seems to be Flagyl (metronidazole).

You appear to be correct, CFA.. It must have been just misinformation that I had since I took it before the age of Google. It certainly FELT like poison.. well, ok. rather like a vast War was being fought in my intestines

thanks for clearing it up...