An adventure to the capital ? how to renew Residency and Cedula, the hard way!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This was the plan?.. leave the North early morning with full tank of fuel, plenty of pesos (which had taken some saving and getting together) but I did not want to be short, necessary documentation and follow the excellent instructions of other DR1 members with a view to renewing out of date Residency and Cedula and return home to the North in the evening. Sounds so simple!

The day started well ? up with the ?lark? after the alarm clock went off at 4.45 am, out of the door by 5.40 am, pick up good friend at 6 am. Drive from Sabaneta de Yasica via Nagua and down the less stressful toll road to the capital. First part of the plan was easily achieved and the car suitably parked outside Immigration by 9.25 am. Directly to Window 9, pay RD$ 100 to collect relevant form for completion. Complete form and hand back to Window 9 to be told had been given incorrect form so receive new form and complete and return for the second time ? no problem and, as it turned out the incorrectly completed form came into great use at a later stage of the proceedings which will be explained shortly.

So, completed correct form handed in by 10 am and time for a coffee and wait to be called. At approx. 11.15 am name called, form handed back with an attachment and an instruction to proceed to Window 3 to pay the relevant fee. So far, so good. The queue to pay at Window 3 was like a snake and extending out the door so, having worked out that each person was actually at the window for some 5 minutes, it was going to be no short session. Lesson learned was that when form is handed in, and whilst waiting the one hour plus for it to be returned, a friend/ partner should join the queue at Window 3 to get in line for payment. Renewal payment finally made with receipts (RD$ 4000 renewal fee, RD$ 1000 VIP for same day completion +RD$ 2100 fine as previous residency expired August 2010) and a number issued for photo queue and time now 12.45 pm so well on schedule. How wrong can one be?. 2 hours later photo eventually done as there appeared to be a problem with the one and only camera being used!!! New residency card should now be available in 30 minutes we were assured but that was until it seemed that the machine producing the cards also broke down. To say there was some inpatience being shown by those who had paid for the VIP service would be an understatement but ours was more concern about getting across the city to the Junta Central Electoral para Extranjeros offices to also renew the cedula prior to their office closing at 3.45 pm. It wasn?t going to happen and, although we broke a few rules of the road, we arrived just as the building was emptying of staff and the doors were closed and we were told to come back tomorrow!!!! Grrrrrr

Due to very unfortunate circumstances, which I will not got into here, the cedula I was renewing had expired in December 2008 so therefore it was imperative that it was renewed before the 30th April deadline whereby the full fine of RD$ 13,500 was waived and just RD$ 1000 payable. Now, bearing in mind that Yvonne and I left our respective homes at just after 5.30 am and our only priority was to get the business done forgetting the need for food all day, we were somewhat hungry to say the least. So, we decided to find a venue to eat whilst we decided on a plan of action. With the city now in rush hour mode, and huge construction on the roads at one point, we sat in heavy, slow moving stop/ start traffic at which point the engine started to overheat but we managed to reduce the temperature by turning on the heater (and my word was it hot) but vowed to check the water level in the radiator when we had stopped and let it cool down. Like everything else, it is never easy to find what you want when you are looking and we were, by this time, desperate for any type of food. Eventually, a KFC seemed to fit the bill with ample parking right outside. So, we sat down to eat our chicken meal and discussed the next move. I was so glad I had thought to bring my netbook and we were lucky that KFC had wifi. As cost was a HUGE consideration for me, we looked at the options and, thanks to a good friend knowing who to ask, we were recommended to an adequate small hotel, nearby to the Junta offices, where we could rent accommodation of bedroom with shower room, aircon and fan for just RD$ 1000 for the night which was a far cheaper option than returning to the North and making another trip prior to the end of April when the reduced fine of just RD$ 1000 for any overdue period ceases. It was our intention to call into Plaza Lama for some emergency supplies as neither of us had anticipated that we would be looking at an overnight stay ? as it turned out there would be no visit to Plaza Lama.

Remember that overheating engine I mentioned? Well, we decided to raise the bonnet and add a drop of water before moving off. It came as no great surprise that a man who was with a friend in another car parked just behind ours stopped as he was leaving the parking area to see if he could assist ?two ladies in distress? with the bonnet up on their vehicle. We explained that we were about to add water at which point he gestured to his car and, in seconds, returned with a full gallon of battery aqua and proceeded to carefully add water to the radiator. Both myself and Yvonne looked on and I went to my bag in the back of the car to get out RD$ 50 to reimburse him for the bottle of water which he blankly refused to take. Seemingly content that our radiator was full after having dispensed about ? of the gallon, he returned swiftly to his car where his friend was waiting (without a word!) and they drove swiftly off. We dropped the bonnet and I went to get something else from my bag on the back seat and OMG it was gone!!
Before anyone says it, yes I was stupid as everything on this occasion was in that bag. Far more money than I would normally carry, credit/ debit cards, passport, both UK and Dominican driving licences, old cedula and new residency card which was just 2 hours old!! + much more. Seeing our distress a group soon gathered and whilst one young lady assisted us with contacting Banco Popular to stop cards, a nearby security guard telephoned the police. Figuero, the attending member of Polica Nacional was sympathetic and patient and after initial questions requested that we follow him to the station. In usual Dominican fashion he made no attempt to put the lights on on his moto, despite it being almost dark, and he weaved and stopped traffic for us to stay with him as we drove across town to the Police station where they took a full statement and made out a report which I duly signed and was given two original copies (without charge). This was where the incorrectly completed form on Tuesday at Immigration came in so handy as both my passport and cedula numbers were on it.

We still had to find the hotel of course but, due to Yvonne?s extraordinary map reading and navigation skills and a phenomenal sense of direction in the city, we arrived at Villa Residential in Calle Santiago just before 9 pm.
Basically, what started as a good day had drifted gradually to ?rat****? and I still remained lacking new Residency and Cedula, totally pesoless, save the RD$ 50 I had put in my pocket after our helpful friend refused to take it and no means of obtaining money. How grateful I was that my good friend, Yvonne, had agreed to come with me as, not only did she fund the rest of the expenditure including fuel to get back home but also ensured that I didn?t crack up under the strain!

Wednesday morning ? a new day with new challenges. First stop was the British Embassy to report the stolen passport and seek guidance and assistance but that rather failed.

Back to Immigration once more where a fantastic member of staff listened to my plight and the previous day?s experiences and, after viewing the police report and consulting with her boss, we were asked to make a further payment of an additional RD$ 2500 and we had another copy of my new Residency card in my hand within the hour.
Now, everyone knows from the residency/ cedula sticky thread that you need old expired cedula, passport and in date residency card to get a new cedula. We had an in date and brand new residency card but no passport or expired cedula but we did have the detailed police report ? would they look kindly upon us and issue me a fresh cedula? I was ushered into their offices and asked several times for passport as it seemed that, although it had been stolen, I should still have it. The police report was also passed from person to person around the office until it stopped in the hands of what appeared to be the Manager who asked me to take a seat back outside and wait. At least he had not said a firm ?no?. After about 20 minutes he reappeared with the paperwork and we were told to pay RD$ 2000 for 2 year cedula plus RD$ 1000 fine. After a quick trip to the ATM for Yvonne to draw even more money for me, we paid and I got in the queue for photos. That was organised and completed promptly and I signed in the appropriate places and within minutes the new cedula was handed over.

A quick bite of pizza lunch, confirmation to those at home that we were leaving SD and we were on our way. A brief accidental sight seeing expedition was thrown in as we made our way to Las Americas but we saw a part of the Colonial Zone, fresh produce markets and the fort en route.

Exhausted but safe, we arrived back home in 4 hours. The ladrones that robbed us will enjoy a good Semana Santa on my pesos and I hope they at least experience a dreadful hangover with all the Brugal they will be able to buy for themselves and their friends!!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shir, what a f***ed up day and what great person to lived through all this without chopping off heads and slashing throats.
i am so sorry you got your stuff stolen, the only consolation is that culprit may get get totally sloshed and promptly run over...

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Ahhh our adventures! So glad we came out of it without being hurt or worse! AND that Whirleybird had at least taken the car keys out of her purse along with the $50 RD saving Whirley from having that taken too!
Once I returned home I discovered my B/F had lost money too! So I hope whoever got that "godsend" has a great Samana Santa and they too have a "dreadful hangover".
Whirley you are a great friend and glad I could be of some assistance. May we never have another trip like that one :) Love ya hope you got some much needed rest.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
What a ghastly experience.I would have gone mad, especially with the Brit embassy and being in SDO and having to deal with all that admin stuff.
Happy you got through it sane.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a shame, I'm sorry you had to go through that. The most important thing is that you and your friend are okay, everything else is secondary. Amazing that they would do that right in KFC parking lot! On second thought, nothing that happens in SD is really surprising.

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you're lucky you had a friend with you for moral support along with the financial aspects. A friend in need, is a friend indeed.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow, I was reading through your post wondering how I would've reacted. Not well, I can tell you that. Think God you are home safe and had a good friend by your side

SHALENA

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Oh nooooo, just read this post. What a nightmare! I'm happy you're home safe and with new cedula in hand! You ought to consider a blog or a book about your adventures...what an awful day!

Gad it turned out in the end!!! I would've been a ball of mush! :)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles in SD.
The 2 times of the year for the highest crime levels in the DR are Easter week and Christmas time.
Keep the faith and don't let the bas**rds get you down.
I am also glad to see that things worked out in the end for you and your friend.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived,and worked,(10 years,For the DR Government!) here for 16 years. I have never had a "Cedula",or any other "papers".I never will!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have lived,and worked,(10 years,For the DR Government!) here for 16 years. I have never had a "Cedula",or any other "papers".I never will!

Doesn't this mean that you do not have a legal driver's license? As an American? I am here for 7 years and the only reason I can think of to get the cedula is for the license. Up to know, i have always left the country every year.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Well done! Good for you! Give yourself a round of applause!

May 12, 2005
Why don't you hire a few off duty PN and go back there and look for those helpful fellows and starighten things out.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Wednesday morning ? a new day with new challenges. First stop was the British Embassy to report the stolen passport and seek guidance and assistance but that rather failed.

I would have to agree with you. My recent dealings with the British Embassy have been appalling. What exactly is their purpose? Helping British citizens does not seem to be an agenda these days. Although they are very good at losing passports, delaying visa re-issuance and giving out wrong information that contradicts the FCO. I have found their customer facing staff to be extremely rude and unhelpful. They are an embarrassment to the United Kingdom. And Mr Fisher doesn't seem to care either!

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Thank goodness you were not hurt with any of that!
I had something similar happen years ago...........at least 15 years ago when I lived there. Took a trip to Santo Domingo to do our Christmas shopping for the project, restaurant and staff. Spend a few days there. We had pesos, US dollars, passports, cedulas etc. Back then, we never knew what form of ID we would need! I was in charge of carrying it all as I had a nice large bag. The last stop on the way home was to get a Christmas tree and load it on top of all of our purchases! We got out of the truck. I left the large, heavy by now, bag in the back seat to look at the trees on the side of the road. As we walked away I asked my partner if he had locked the truck and I turned to look back at a man taking my bag out of the back seat!!!!!!!! I didnt think.................just turned and started running and screaming at the top of my lungs! He got onto the back of a motoconcho and I thought all was lost! But he turned the corner and I was able to cut him off!!!!!!! Still running, still screaming and swearing. I kept thinking of everything in the bag, my glasses, all the documents and money and we didnt even fill the truck up with gas to get home yet!!!!! I got along side and, still running, grabbed the front of his shirt. He looked completely amazed and just tossed my bag over his head into the street. I had been ready to jump on them and knock them over! My partner came careening around the corner in the truck, saw me with the bag and just shook his head! LOL By then, we were surrounded by Dominicans, like a big party! They were saying, "you run FAST!!!"
Later we were looking at trees with me hugging my bag and a policeman came up to me and said I had to go to the police station to fill out a report. I said nothing had been stolen! But they had caught the guy. At that time of year there were a lot of cops on the corners and my commotion had alerted them. The cop was covered in blood but I wasnt sure why and he wasnt saying. We got to the police station and they brought the thief in. I could barely recognize him. He was beaten so badly. They showed me a weapon he had in his hand and he has used it on the cop. A little metal T-bar. I almost fainted. He could have used it on me. I could have lost an eye or something .
So, maybe it is a good thing your thieves got away. They will get theirs...........someday. A shame you wont get to see it though!
Thanks for sharing. You brought back a lot of memories of life in the DR. I have been back in the "real" world for about 10 years now but still get homesick.
Sunny

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Wow! Great story Sunny.
It's such a shame WB wasn't as fortunate. I really feel sorry for her.