Anyone ever have mahogany doors made?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had one of our mahogany trees cut down [permit, etc.] because it was up against a block wall and half on the neighbors property. Hired someone to come and cut it into 8' planks and 2x4s. Now we want someone to make some doors for our house with our wood.

Anyone ever have this done? Idea of costs involved? The guy who did the cutting also makes doors/frames/woodwork. He wants 7500 pesos for the front door for labor. My husband thinks that sounds high, but we have nothing to compare it to. We're in NJ right now, so it's not easy. He called a friend who said he thinks a mahogany door costs about 18,000 pesos - I'd love to hear from some of you who have either bought one or had one made. We need 6 doors made.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wait a couple of years. That wood needs aging. If you are not in a hurry. There are places here in Santiago that do that sort of thing, so keep it well ventilated, dry and wait a while.
Since this is Dominican mahogany, it is very valuable. Really valuable. Keep it safe.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I didn't realize it was that valuable. We have a few mahogany trees, one of them is a monster, maybe 4' diameter. We have no plans to cut it, probably wouldn't get a permit anyway. I told my husband what you said, and we're going to wait until at least next year to do anything with it. For the time being the wood is locked up. Maybe we need a bigger lock :laugh:

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The price seems high to me. I also agree that the mahogany needs time to dry as I witnessed in my own house what happens with green mahogany - it warps and cracks.