Fence or wall

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
I have a space 50metre wide that I need to block off, what would be the best and of course cheapest way to do this. I cant find out prices from the ferreteria today as they are closed and I know some of you are a knowledgable bunch. The fence or wall would need to be between 4-6 foot high. All this as we have just adopted another dog that likes to go on walkabout and take my other dog with him.
Thanks Craig

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the cheapest and most beautiful would be a green wall. but it takes time to grow.
you can use this plants species: Laurel, Gri Gri, Isla verde or Fokiantee.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Chickenwire fence would be cheapest and least intrusive on the eye, buy some creapers and train them up the wire, won't even see the wire in a few weeks.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Dogs who jump...hmm...sounds familiar, have/had some real Houdini's in the past and still have some if challenged.
Best system for those dogs is a firmly in the ground planted (cemented) chicken wire with vertical stabilizers but NO horizontal bars, the wire has to hang loose above for the reason that dogs who really like to escape, they use a technique of jumping, hanging on with the nails of their front paws and even using their back paws if necessary, if too high to jump in one go, and then climbing the rest of the fence. If the wire is hanging loose they have no real grip to climb the last part and usually that discourages them enough to jump back into the yard. Cementing you wire into the ground doesn't need an explanation, I think.

I personally like a wall more, fits more into my idea of modern building style with clean lines but I will have to take into consideration that I will have to put a loose chicken wire mounted onto the wall to discourage some of my dogs to try their jumping techniques on that wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wall is more expensive but better in a long run. it has lots of positives: no one can look inside and dogs cannot look outside so they are a bit more calm. wall means also more security and more peace. properly built will have a cement base and cement columns supporting the structure.
our wall is about 2.5 meters high, dogs will never make it. but they do jump on the wall, quite high, if provoked. one of neighbours has a chicken wire net, one of his dogs digs under that and the other rips the net, it has been fixed many times. my cousin had a net but changed for a wall after her rotie learnt to climb the net :)
we have a net wall separating the garden into dog area and cat area. our younger rottie dug tunnels under: we reinforced bottom with stones. then she climbed up: we put the net higher. then she ripped apart the net and squeezed on the other size so we reinforgec net with grill aluminium shelves from the old fridge. so far so good.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
wall is more expensive but better in a long run. it has lots of positives: no one can look inside and dogs cannot look outside so they are a bit more calm. wall means also more security and more peace. properly built will have a cement base and cement columns supporting the structure.
our wall is about 2.5 meters high, dogs will never make it. but they do jump on the wall, quite high, if provoked. one of neighbours has a chicken wire net, one of his dogs digs under that and the other rips the net, it has been fixed many times. my cousin had a net but changed for a wall after her rotie learnt to climb the net :)
we have a net wall separating the garden into dog area and cat area. our younger rottie dug tunnels under: we reinforced bottom with stones. then she climbed up: we put the net higher. then she ripped apart the net and squeezed on the other size so we reinforgec net with grill aluminium shelves from the old fridge. so far so good.

What a recognizable stories dv8 :)
I also prefer a wall for my already described reasons but also for the fact that it calms my dogs more if they can't see what is happening outside the yard and it prevents people outside the premises to harass my dogs if they can't see them but...2,5 M is not enough for my dogs, they jump that quite easy, one of the downsides of training your dogs in jumping techniques.