Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

We are in the process of moving our internet retail business to Cabarete/Sosua area. We took out a classified add on DR1 for customer service employees and were fortunate enough to find and hire three great expats in the Sosua area who now work for us remotely full time. I have recently posted a second ad and the response has been slow compared to the first. We need a couple more good people. This site has been great, but can anyone suggest an additional way that we get word out to the American, Canadian, British expat community that we have jobs and employment available in the DR working for a reliable American company?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Never mind. I asked a question but already found your ad.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure of how better to adverstise, but I am interested in the above position. Please send me a PM as to where I can email my resume. Thanks

Another one bites the dust...
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I'm interested in is why people need to be based in a certain area if working from a virtual station, surely this would be unimportant and the whole point of it?
    Apart from training I am unsure of the reasons, but have noticed a few ads over the last couple of years requiring virtual stations but in a certain area, what gives?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Something I'm interested in is why people need to be based in a certain area if working from a virtual station, surely this would be unimportant and the whole point of it?
    Apart from training I am unsure of the reasons, but have noticed a few ads over the last couple of years requiring virtual stations but in a certain area, what gives?
    We like to be close to our employees. We get together for training, for lunch and for celebrations. It's important for everyone to know eachother in our opinion.

6. Likes yacht chef liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Having people work from home but close to a specific location is not unusual and is for exactly the reasons posted plus the lowering of expenses for the owners. If they work from home then you don't need an office or overhead, simply get together once in a while for a breakfast or lunch meeting and you are good to go. Many people like to work from home!

My question is how can you advertise you want to hire expats to work for an American company? You are violating the labor code here and you need to advertise and hire Dominicans! And the wages you are offering - they are appropriate for locals.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You had indeed better bone up, i.e. become more "enlightened", on the labor laws in the DR or you will be sorry.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.

10. Likes Bethany Elsenbeck, yacht chef liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW: didn't mean to imply in any way that I was "Enlightened" it is simply the name of our company which sells religious items, "Enlightened Expressions"

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened1 View Post
    Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.
    Many a foreigner has come to find they are wrong. Dominican labor laws are territorial, they cover anybody (legal or illegal) working in the DR. All you need is a disgruntled or fired employee to report your presence to the Labor Board and your lack of providing required benefits, and the fact that you met with these employees in the DR, you propbably will have an Impedimento de Salida issued which will prevent you leaving the DR until your legal obligations are addressed. So if you plan to continue this operation, don't step foot in the DR.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast