Puerto Chiquito

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
I have been looking at some properties for sale in Puerto Chiquito, including a couple of ocean view lots. I would appreciate if someone could give me some more info. about the project, i.e. security, future development etc. Is anyone in charge of this project?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Forget about this place. You can get killed there in a minute. I would not live there if they paid me to. There have been some serious incidents there in the past.

Just so I know we are talking about the same place, it is on the way to Puerta Plata just past Sosua Abajo, is this correct? Because there is also a Playa Chiquita in Sosua itself.

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for your replies! I will have some people from my company do a thorough investigation in the area.

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
Thank you all for your help. However, I was looking for a little bit more educated feedback. I will also talk to some of the residents in the area and hear what they have to say. I just learned that there are several families living there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you all for your help. However, I was looking for a little bit more educated feedback. I will also talk to some of the residents in the area and hear what they have to say. I just learned that there are several families living there.

I have a friend of mine that has lived there for about 3 years. His wife left him and went back to the UK with their child, rather than live there. He cannot get half of what he paid for his house now.

Do you need more "education"?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Good example of what happens when people do not do their research, stick all their eggs in one basket, sell up and ship out. People are living in these places because they have not left a way out for themselves, and only those not prepared to listen those with the knowledge of the place are stupid enough to buy.

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
I have now done a more thorough investigation in the Pto. Chiquito area, including talking to several of the local families, both Dominicans and foreigners. Evidently, the area has been very quiet for the last few years. There were some minor burglaries some years ago, but I guess this is normal anywhere, especially in a non-gated community like Pto. Chiquito. Most of the lots were sold for around 35 US Dollars back in the nineties, and today the lots are going for 60 Dollars and upwards. One of the latest house owners told me he had paid 80 US Dollars/M2 for his lot. I saw several large houses under construction and some in the process of renovation. The area is being used by groups of local and outside residents for jogging/exercising in the morning/afternoon, and I saw groups of local kids biking around in the area. One of the things I like about this area in addition to the breezy and relaxing environment, is the fact that you may build you own house there with your own maestro, which can take the building cost per M2 for a good quality construction down to 500 Dollars/M2, unlike some of the popular gated communities where the price/M2 sometimes exceeds 1000 M2 !! I guess this is the reason some of the middle class Dominican families have built huge residences in the area. I also met with one of the former owners of Hotel Sand Castle. He told me a large part of Pto. Chiquito, the part that belonged to a major bank, has now been sold to a European developer who's intent is to develop the area into a a gated community within the next five to ten years. Anyway, I now regret I did not come here earlier when the lots were still cheap.

niero

Apr 22, 2011
Hi tigre!
I live in the Sosua-Cabarete area. I can provide you all the information you need about Playa Chiquita. Please take contact for further information.

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
puerto chiquito--are you crazy?

:(Although I have never lived in Puerto Chiquito, I did, over the past four years, look at various properties
there. Instead, I moved to Las Canas, a beachfront area past Sabeneta, just before Gaspar Hernandez. I had
been warned and warned and warned that both Puerto Chiquito and Las Canas are simply too dangerous. Stupid me! I moved to Las Canas last March. On December 4 four armed gunmen overpowered my TWO security guards, forced me to the floor, and held a gun to my head. I do not know why I was not killed, especially as three or so minutes after the gunmen left one of them returned. I was able to fight him off and, fortunately in the struggle, the glass on my bedroom door broke and severely cut his arm--lots of blood, so he left without finishing me off.

Foreigners are targets. Real estate in the D. R. is NOT location, location, location, but SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY.

Move to Puerto Chiquito at your own risk. Good luck; you will need it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have now done a more thorough investigation in the Pto. Chiquito area, including talking to several of the local families, both Dominicans and foreigners. Evidently, the area has been very quiet for the last few years. There were some minor burglaries some years ago, but I guess this is normal anywhere, especially in a non-gated community like Pto. Chiquito. Most of the lots were sold for around 35 US Dollars back in the nineties, and today the lots are going for 60 Dollars and upwards. One of the latest house owners told me he had paid 80 US Dollars/M2 for his lot. I saw several large houses under construction and some in the process of renovation. The area is being used by groups of local and outside residents for jogging/exercising in the morning/afternoon, and I saw groups of local kids biking around in the area. One of the things I like about this area in addition to the breezy and relaxing environment, is the fact that you may build you own house there with your own maestro, which can take the building cost per M2 for a good quality construction down to 500 Dollars/M2, unlike some of the popular gated communities where the price/M2 sometimes exceeds 1000 M2 !! I guess this is the reason some of the middle class Dominican families have built huge residences in the area. I also met with one of the former owners of Hotel Sand Castle. He told me a large part of Pto. Chiquito, the part that belonged to a major bank, has now been sold to a European developer who's intent is to develop the area into a a gated community within the next five to ten years. Anyway, I now regret I did not come here earlier when the lots were still cheap.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Good example of what happens when people do not do their research, stick all their eggs in one basket, sell up and ship out. People are living in these places because they have not left a way out for themselves, and only those not prepared to listen those with the knowledge of the place are stupid enough to buy.

here here agreed .....always have an EXIT plan...

TX2DR

Mar 29, 2011

Other than asking advice on each specific area on forums like this, what other form of research is easily available.
Are stats, like crime statistics available by area / online ?

TX2DR

Mar 29, 2011

This reads more like a brochure,
Are you a developer or agent for property in the area by chance?
Either way, good luck with the move.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
P. Chiquito

That area is surrounded by some fairly poor neighborhoods, a large cemetery down the street that bottles up traffic during funeral processions, cane fields that burn and drop ash all over the place, and the river running down the east side is highly polluted. For $40-$80 M2! ?? (Maybe if you take off the zeros). Have you checked the water and electric sources? Jets flying over at all hours. Highway traffic noise a block or two away. Oh, and the entrance to a big trash dump just down the road behind La Union.
Sounds like a deal.