Furniishing a new condo

Feb 20, 2011
I just purchased a new, unfurnished 1 bedroom condo in Cortecito and would like to get advice from the forum about furnishing of the condo.
The real estate people told me they can get everything done for about 15k but am not sure that kind of furniture / appliances I might end up with if I let them do it.
Since the condo is totally empty I will need / alliances / tv / living & dining room furniture, basically everything.
Can anybody recommend good furniture / appliances stores in the area and maybe in Higuey?
Don't have a car so I would rent a taxi for a day if I need to go to Higuey but really don't want to travel as far as Santo Domingo.
Also I heard a lot about imported furmiture versus rattan; where would I find imported furniture?

Thanks in advance for the help

claufket

Jan 4, 2009
Ilumel

I highly recommend Ilumel. Mayra can help you. When we bought we were told that we should use a designer and Ilumel was expensive. We got a quote from a designer and it was expensive and they could not tell us exactly what we were going to get. We got most of our furniture on sale and I thought the prices were good. We went to the local stores near Friusa and in Veron to get our appliances. We brought all of our linens and kitchen gadgets with us from the United States because we could not find anything we liked or of good quality. After looking at other units that used a designer we realized that they really are not designers but they just push the same plain furniture on everybody. They have no clue about the scale of a fixture or furniture to the space. We really enjoyed furnishing our place and meeting the locals even though we don't speak Spanish. We now have many good memories to go along with our furnishings.

claufket

Jan 4, 2009
And don't let them talk you into the $600 window treatments. I bought nice curtains for $30 each at JcPenneys and have had them for two years and they still look great. We are also as close to the ocean as you can get so the weather is not hard on them like we were told. The only thing I recommend is that you find a way to air out your place as often as possible. If it is closed up the mildew takes over really quick. Our place is rented pretty frequently now so we don't worry about it.

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks claufket;

What you mention ("desgners" pushing the same plain furniture on everybody) is exactly what I am afraid of.
I don't mind paying but would like to get what I am paying for, that's why is thought I should shop around myself.
You recommend Ilumel, is that for furniture only and where is it located?
Thanks!

john_tn

Jan 20, 2010
Furniture

There is a furniture store past Friusa. After I bought my condo last year, I bought a sofa from them. It is good quality and was reasonably priced. The name of the place is Unicane Bavaro on Avenida Estados Unidos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For appliances go to Coriprio in Veron. They will be opening another branch in the San Juan Mall in the future, but until it opens go to the one in Veron. They will deliver to your apt. Not sure of the spelling, but it is on your right heading towards Higuey, just a bit after the turn towards Higuey.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I think its CORRIPIO, they have one in Santiago and I think that's how you spell it but I could be wrong! :)

SHALENA

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Before you buy you have to ask yourself some questions. How much are you willing to pay? Are you going to reside in the residence full time or are you going to rent it out? If you intend the condo to be for your own use you may decide to invest in some quality furniture from a high end vendor such as Ilumel. However, if you intend to rent it is best to buy at low to moderate prices and quality. Renters in this area are unconcerned with the care and maintenance of rental units, it make no sense for you, the owner, to risk good furniture into the care of renter. Rental income for the area has taken a plunge due to the bad economic times, owners are lucky to receive half of the monthly income now compared to what they received a few years ago, during the boom times.

If the real estate people say they can get everything done for 15k, you have to ask, how much are they going to skim off the top? They smile, charm you, say "no problem, we can do it all for you" or you can go to Higuey yourself to visit the furniture stores, at least to get an idea of the price range of the furniture. Remember, you are not home you are in a foreign country and you are a target. All foreigners are rich, there is a price for Dominicans and a price for foreigners. Most shops will deliver, if you buy in volume from one store, most likely you can ask for a discount. Negotiate free delivery and a discount after you have selected all products, pretend to walk out if the vendor seems unwilling to discount. Most will yield to your desires for fear of a loss of business in poor economic times.

Higuey has its Av Libertad, and there are many furniture stores located there and near there, Frank Muebles, Ray Muebles, Teanas, ect, ect. It is worth a day trip to get a feel of the market.

PJT would suggest the purchase of electronics be done at Corripio in Higuey or Veron. The selection of goods is greater in Higuey and the prices are the same for appliances at both locations.

Wish you good luck.

Regards,

PJT

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks everybody for the great advice; I want to live in the condo and am not going to rent out, therefore I will look for some higher end furniture - thanks again.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Add to all the good advice above:
Supermercados Nacional in Punta Cana Village has a good homeware department - kitchen equipment, bathroom furnishings and accessories, towels, linen, cushions and decorations.

Best furniture shops are definitely Ilumel and Unicane: neither are cheap but they have a good variety of styles, generally good quality and bargains can sometimes be found. Casa Holanda in Ver?n is also worth a visit for furniture and accessories.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I was just on Ilumel's web site. Their site is nice, but to see the merchandise follow their link to their facebook page where you can see merch. and some prices.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT seconds the recommendation for Casa Holanda. The proprietors, Nikki, Belkis, and Raul are all first class people, humble, and they have unique business. You will warm up to them immediately. They do not offer a full line of furniture, what you will see is an abundance of accessories, table lamps, bed tables, sculptures, paintings, assortments of all types of knick knacks and odds and ends that add character to a living space. They also have a nursery of various flowers, plants, and supplies that will give spirit to your residence.

Regards,

PJT

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
PJT seconds the recommendation for Casa Holanda. The proprietors, Nikki, Belkis, and Raul are all first class people, humble, and they have unique business. You will warm up to them immediately. They do not offer a full line of furniture, what you will see is an abundance of accessories, table lamps, bed tables, sculptures, paintings, assortments of all types of knick knacks and odds and ends that add character to a living space. They also have a nursery of various flowers, plants, and supplies that will give spirit to your residence.

Regards,

PJT

where are they located, PJT?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ver?n, near the crossroads, across from Plaza Genaro. Difficult to miss with the large windmill sign outside.