L a Vega carnival next year

Sally Walton

Apr 25, 2011
We want to see carnival and have heard that La Vega is the place to do it. We would like to get some photos of carnival masks. It seems as if up to 400,000 people went last year! Would it be better to avoid the last day and go on an earlier Sunday to see the parades? How does it all work? It seems there are no hotels in La Vega - if we stay near Santiago and get the bus or cadge a lift to La Vega do we just walk through the streets and find a suitable spot or does it happen in one central square? We heard there is music too. All information gratefully received.
Or are there any good carnivals in other places that would be slightly smaller but still fun? We are flexible - we could be in Samana, santa Domingo or Puerta Plata or Santiago regions.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's a big street party, you'll mingle with the paraders and the crowd.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are in Santiago, there is a small carnival museum there with many carnival masks.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I went to carnival in La Vega the year before last as it is supposed to be "the" carnival of the Dominican Republic. It was loud and colorful and crowded. I was carrying my three year old so that she could see what was going on. In spite of the fact that I was carrying a child, the idiots swinging those pig bladders were aggressively hitting me constantly. It was very painful and I was unable to sidestep them without putting my child at risk. I did not enjoy the experience at all. I will NEVER do carnival in La Vega again!

The carnival in Santo Domingo is a much better choice in my opinion.